Coronavirus COVID-19 News specific to South Africa

SoldierMan

Looks like Lancet were under pressure to retract as there wasn't an independant verifier.

Well, back to square one as there is uncertainty on the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine. Studies are ongoing.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33408026/

What did you link to? A single graph?

Have you actually read any of those additional studies that are listed, many have very pro hydroxychloroquine results, so I don't know why you think that link proves anything other than what I have been saying.
I think you are just looking for anything to shoot down hydroxychloroquine without having looked at the data.

Jings

What did you link to? A single graph?

Have you actually read any of those additional studies that are listed, many have very pro hydroxychloroquine results, so I don't know why you think that link proves anything other than what I have been saying.
I think you are just looking for anything to shoot down hydroxychloroquine without having looked at the data.
Not shooting it down, only that there is uncertainty. Better to research pros and cons. There should be warnings about taking the drug if this study has merit.

SoldierMan

Not shooting it down, only that there is uncertainty. Better to research pros and cons. There should be warnings about taking the drug if this study has merit.

Thanks, will read later, it's long.

Consider this, if you are on a ventilator (and many say once you go on a ventilator you don't come off) and you ain't doing so well trying HCQ as a last resort to save a life doesn't seem like such a bad idea given that it has been in use for 50 years. I know someone who was on it and they had zero side effects.

Jings

Consider this, if you are on a ventilator (and many say once you go on a ventilator you don't come off) and you ain't doing so well trying HCQ as a last resort to save a life doesn't seem like such a bad idea given that it has been in use for 50 years. I know someone who was on it and they had zero side effects.

So that explains why you're passionate about it, you know someone who was on it. I know someone who acquired ivermectin because they know someone who took ivermectin and made an amazing recovery.

biometrics

Have you read this?

SoldierMan

So that explains why you're passionate about it, you know someone who was on it. I know someone who acquired ivermectin because they know someone who took ivermectin and made an amazing recovery.

*facepalm*

No Jings, that's not why I've researched it. He was on it for malaria not Covid. TAlso, this was ages ago.
It was merely a comment that of the few people I know who have tried it, he never had any side effects. It was just a comment I made.

You have to think though that it has been in use for 50 years, if suicide was a potential side effect it might have been picked by now.

SoldierMan

Have you read this?

That's great news. Anything that can fight this virus and save lives is a positive. It seems the more existing drugs that are tested the more we find can be useful against Covid. Will pass the article on to someone who just found out that his sister has Covid.

Dave

Scroll down to Treatment Guidelines from China and look for point number 4. You will find it there because I like to chit post. As opposed to you who just makes judgement calls (on life and death no less) based on nothing but total ignorance on a subject

Nope, I don't see any verifiable proof there, in fact it refers to old CDC and Belgium data.

Try again. Official, verifiable proof, please.

The report further goes on to cite research from the US CDC from 2005 as well as research from the University of Leuven University in Belgium regarding chloroquine’s effectiveness against SARS

As for the deaths. If you watch and TV or follow any news at all you will know that China's deaths are very low. A quick google says they have 4636 total deaths.

Nope, I don’t consider “watch and TV or follow any news” or even a quick Google as official verifiable proof. In fact, theres been
TV “news” that has accused the Chinese of under-reporting Covid deaths going right back to the first outbreak in Wuhan.

So, try again, official verifiable proof, please.

Dave

Ive just realised what you’ve linked to :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You really are a prime A grade moron aren’t you?

That’s the “Covid medical report” written by the opthamalogist and the guy pretending to be affiliated to Stanford?

Dr. James M. Todaro is an ophthalmologist in Dearborn, Michigan. He has been in practice for less than 3 years.

Rigano is not a doctor. Nor is he affiliated with Stanford’s medical school — it is actively trying to get him to stop saying he is an adviser. And his claims about chloroquine are unproven, often overstated and potentially harmful.

Rigano and his associate James Todaro have rapidly gained attention for their paper on chloroquine, self-published on Google Docs, which they claim to have written “in consultation with Stanford University School of Medicine, UAB School of Medicine and National Academy of Sciences researchers.”

Stanford University School of Medicine and the University of Alabama, Birmingham, School of Medicine told HuffPost that no one from their institutions was directly involved in Rigano and Todaro’s paper. The National Academy of Sciences was also not aware of any connection between Rigano or Todaro and the organization, according to a spokesperson. One UAB researcher requested that his name be removed from the paper after he was initially listed as an author and denied he had any knowledge of it or any part in its creation, he told Wired magazine in a Thursday profile of Rigano and Todaro.

Both Stanford Medicine and its SPARK Program in Translational Research, a drug development partnership with industry, also explicitly told HuffPost that Rigano is making a false claim about his affiliation with the university and have contacted LinkedIn to demand the company remove the university from his profile.

“Mr Rigano is not an advisor to the SPARK program and Stanford was not involved in his paper. We previously asked him to remove any reference to Stanford in his publication,” Daria Mochly-Rosen, the founder and co-director of SPARK at Stanford, told HuffPost.

Jings

*facepalm*

No Jings, that's not why I've researched it. He was on it for malaria not Covid. TAlso, this was ages ago.
It was merely a comment that of the few people I know who have tried it, he never had any side effects. It was just a comment I made.

You have to think though that it has been in use for 50 years, if suicide was a potential side effect it might have been picked by now.
It has been picked up. I linked the study.