Coronavirus around the world thread

satanboy

It still prevents serious/hospitalisation level infections on all variants afaik. Even according to the SA report, none of those who caught COVID after being vaccinated needed hospitalisation.
I guess that is why most European countries stopped using it.

Dave

Citation needed.

A quick Google later, here’s one

The South African trial looks worrying, but what we don’t know is how effective the AstraZeneca vaccine is at preventing serious cases of Covid-19. None of the 42 cases of Covid-19 in the South African study required hospitalisation. That is not altogether surprising, given that the participants were all aged under 65 and had a median age of 30.

If the vaccine prevents serious illness from the South African variant – and it has already proved itself very good at preventing serious cases of disease in other countries where the South African variant is less prevalent – it would still be doing an extremely valuable job.

Dave

I guess that is why most European countries stopped using it.

Before you do a Bio and ask for citation

“It was a political choice,” Nicola Magrini, the director, told La Repubblica newspaper on Monday, saying that Italy suspended the administration of the AstraZeneca vaccine because other European countries had decided to do so.

satanboy

Dave

None of that refutes or even covers the fact it’s still considered to be suitable for preventing serious cases of COVID.

I don’t even have a dog in this fight, I had the Pfizer vaccine, but if I’d been offer the AZ one I’d definitely have still taken it.

Sinbad

None of that refutes or even covers the fact it’s still considered to be suitable for preventing serious cases of COVID.

I don’t even have a dog in this fight, I had the Pfizer vaccine, but if I’d been offer the AZ one I’d definitely have still taken it.
Yup. Anything that reduces the risk of serious illness is a winner IMHO. Not going to quibble over a few percent here or there.

biometrics

A quick Google later, here’s one

The South African trial looks worrying, but what we don’t know is how effective the AstraZeneca vaccine is at preventing serious cases of Covid-19. None of the 42 cases of Covid-19 in the South African study required hospitalisation. That is not altogether surprising, given that the participants were all aged under 65 and had a median age of 30.

If the vaccine prevents serious illness from the South African variant – and it has already proved itself very good at preventing serious cases of disease in other countries where the South African variant is less prevalent – it would still be doing an extremely valuable job.
Did you read it, you are proving my point

SA even sold off their AZ stock and didn't use any of it.

Anyway, Pfizer or J&J is the way to go. They work for the original and variants.