Constitutional Court rules Electoral Act is unconstitutional, opens way for independent candidates

biometrics

The Constitutional Court has declared the Electoral Act unconstitutional.

Justice Mbuyiseli Madlanga handed down judgment on Thursday.

This comes after the New Nation Movement's (NNM) bid to allow an independent candidate to run for elections challenged the current Electoral Act 73 of 1998, arguing that it infringes on the right to exercise individual political choices.

The NNM wanted the Electoral Act to be amended to allow independent candidates to run in provincial and national elections.

Urist

(y)
This is great, the party system is rotten. But how will it work practically on the ballot?
Guessing the way it normally works with local elections. Though I can't think of any strong leaders not attached to a party atm. Maybe Zapiro can run for president, or some or other person who can pick the best of all parties for his cabinet, but yeah, out with partisans who puts personal their loyalties ahead of the country.

biometrics

Look, it must be reasonable - I can lend you the keys to the city for a weekend. Go on a rampage. Get laid, get hammered, get smashed, get high - but don't get arrested, you have the keys.
I will get you in charge of Hermanus. Then we revamp Piet Se Bos into a party zone and the old camp site by the river the chill room. Drugs will be dispensed everywhere. Booze you pay for.

access™

I will get you in charge of Hermanus. Then we revamp Piet Se Bos into a party zone and the old camp site by the river the chill room. Drugs will be dispensed everywhere. Booze you pay for.

gees i havent thought about that for a while. massive bonfire in the middle, party people all over the place. good times.