Chess

biometrics

Any chess players here? I used to play in primary school and after watching a series and movies about chess recently I'm keen to get into it again.

Any recommendations for single player on Windows and iPad. What about playing against other players online?

biometrics

Woot, won a game on chess.com against an "adaptive" software player, i.e. easy.

Düber

My youngest daughter and I play, I got her a wooden set to save my glass one from destruction. I am very rusty though, also last played properly in primary school.
Never tried to play online though. Might be interesting.

biometrics

My youngest daughter and I play, I got her a wooden set to save my glass one from destruction. I am very rusty though, also last played properly in primary school.
Never tried to play online though. Might be interesting.
I was #1 in the B team, lol. I'm pretty sure I could see like five moves ahead back then. Now like two. Need some practice.

Was quite fun actually. Don't recall it as fun back then.

Düber

Just played a game on chess.com now.
A bit of fun having a challenge and not having to coach at the same time.

Düber

:) Yes, cleaned up!
Had it on adaptive? or something like that so I think it was still sussing me out . Perhaps if you register an account it would get more challenging the more games you play.

biometrics

:) Yes, cleaned up!
Had it on adaptive? or something like that so I think it was still sussing me out . Perhaps if you register an account it would get more challenging the more games you play.
Yes, on the default adaptive.

Might rather get an app for my iPad though.

Nicholas

I last played in high school. I wasn't much good at it. Failure to think ahead, anticipate opponent's moves, and sometimes what piece to move where.:p

satanboy

I've always just played casually. Haven't touched a board (sold my last one) in >20 years.

Rudolph Hart

Thirty years ago a few of us at work started playing chess during our lunch hour. Two of us joined the local club and played a bit of league chess (I think I played board three or four in the third league), but if you’re even slightly rusty don’t try that unless you don’t mind getting beaten. I won some and I lost some, but I was into it back then. Played a lot, read a few books and even then would usually make at least one mistake during most games.

I tried playing online one or twice, but didn’t enjoy it as much as face to face. It’s a bit like comparing zoom meetings to face to face meetings. In a zoom meeting I’ve got ten windows open and am on my phone, listening with half an ear in case someone says something interesting. Face to face gets my full attention.

I had far more fun playing backgammon online - games are quicker, less concentration required and there’s an element of luck in each game. Playing serious backgammon though is another level too.

Papa Smurf

i dig chess
i have a tot glasses drinking version of backgammon at home somewhere, no idea how the game works, i just like filling the tot glasses with alcohol and downing it over the course of the evening

GreGorGy

i dig chess
i have a tot glasses drinking version of backgammon at home somewhere, no idea how the game works, i just like filling the tot glasses with alcohol and downing it over the course of the evening

Backgammon, like chess, also has a global ranking system. And much like chess, there are strategies involved and plays to be made, and unlike chess, where the role of the dice can have a very limited impact (if any).

Papa Smurf

Backgammon, like chess, also has a global ranking system. And much like chess, there are strategies involved and plays to be made, and unlike chess, where the role of the dice can have a very limited impact (if any).
i must haul it out one morning when im sober and check it out on YouTube

GreGorGy

i must haul it out one morning when im sober and check it out on YouTube

Almost all mobile or computer versions of the game suck. People accuse the computer of cheating its dice rolls all the time. Sadly, Windows Phone was the king of digital backgammon. Some oke had released an app that connects to FIBS or whatever it is and actually rates you as well. It was proper. Current implementations all kind of suck. It remains a great game to play with a worthy opponent. Now, back to chess...

Revolver was okay from that aspect, IIRC.