CCTV Recommedations

slayer

I would suggest custom solar solution to power a NVR, which can power the cameras via PoE..

Solar powered WiFi CCTV cams are expensive for not very good quality picture..

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

biometrics

I don't have any smart home integration or wired networking or all that good stuff. So I'm fine with stand alone systems.

Maybe the Ring stuff?

Icemanbrfc

alqassam

Yes on the app you can also add a as card into the cam for recording when events happen

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

itareanlnotanI

I'd go for PoE camera's (IP Camera's) with an NVR.
Don't go for CCTV at all. Quality is abysmal in comparison to IP Camera's.

I brought my own in from China.

Mercury 8 port PoE switch was 200RMB. - this feeds power to the camera's, and network.
NVR was 130RMB - need to add in a HDD though + a display.
Camera's were 80-130RMB odd for 3MP - 5MP
I brought in 4 camera's + nvr + poe switch per house.

Total cost per house (I brought in 3 sets) was around R2500
Very happy - the quality is really really good on 5MP.

I should bring more in!

Locally - should be able to find similar stuff. I could probably do a group buy if people are interested.

netstrider

Happens to be what I do since 2011, that is, recommend surveillance systems to integrators who then go and install for the end-user.

It's really not a "take this and be happy" situation.

1. What do you want to monitor?
  2. Presumably, your main concerns are at night. Did you know you should adjust analytics during the evening because of this?
  3. Retention time required?
  4. Recording on motion only?
  5. Do you want alarms and push notifications and other integrations?
  6. IP is not always preferable to analogue for the home user. HD Analogue is available.
  7. Analogue cable runs way exceed CAT5e/CAT6.
  8. Where do you plan to buy? Does the seller provide a warranty? Does the manufacturer provide a warranty? How long is the warranty?
  9. If in an area with lightning, have you considered some protection (99/100 don't).
  10. What are the lighting conditions like. Will the built-in infra-red be enough or is additional visible light or IR necessary?
  11. It's best using surveillance HDD, except when RAID is used then Enterprise RAID drives are necessary. Surveillance drives have better write performance than read performance.
  12. Are you going to monitor from the DVR itself or from a client. Consider the client capabilities if viewing from a client.
  13. Higher res cameras have lower performance at night - most of the time. CCD / CMOS sensor size matters (mostly CMOS available now).

Those are just some of the things. Home users and businesses have different needs. Businesses may need face mask detection or license plate recognition or searching by appearance and the colour of T-shirt and so on.

netstrider

Forgot to mention, if you go IP, does it support ONVIF (Open Network Video Interface Forum - think of it as some sort of open-source driver). If it does not, skip.

A lot of Chinese brands support ONVIF, but not necessarily as well as you might think, even between other Chinese brands. So if ever camera brand 'x' breaks and you want to replace it with brand 'y', it could be a problem. Sometimes ONVIF version 2 is supported and no firmware is released for S or other.

Main issue arrives when both camera and NVR are ONVIF, but NVR brand 'Z' does not detect motion from camera brand 'A'. Can be really frustrating. On the cheapie home systems you can sometimes circumvent that by setting up motion on the camera browser menu and enabling motion within the NVR menu - since the NVR will likely not allow you to set up motion on the camera directly. Mostly, and even with enterprise systems, it doesn't always work.

SauRoN

Home Assistant + Frigate.

Can connect pretty much anything IP based to it.

Off the shelf nothing beats the UniFi Protect range of products but it’s a lot of bucks to throw around if you aren’t in that ecosystem already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro