Car Recommendations

biometrics

Bumping this thread. Decided to get rid of the Corsa.

What do you think of these:

1611051305542.png

1611051374249.png

Reactions: Y2K

Düber

From the pictures they both look good.
I would be biased to the one from Rola.

The i10 is really small and does get blown around by the wind, but is fairly comfy inside. As a city runaround it is perfect.
I like them.

Y2K

View attachment 10294

View attachment 10295

I usually drive a Landrover td4 Freelander 2006 (Family car), my friend drives one of those i10's and when I drive it feels like a toy, should be perfect for her. Here's some pro's and con's. https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-Hyundai-i10

"Hyundai manages to give a bang for your bucks by providing a long equipment list (even for a car that's in this segment eg: automatic transmission, OVRMs etc). Since it has a variety of models(era,magna,sports etc) to choose from and that too at competitive prices, it appeals to many buyers."

Johnatan56

View attachment 10294

View attachment 10295

i10 is fine as long as you are not pushing it to 120 or trying to drive up Tamboerskloof the really steep roads.
For stellies/most normal hills it's perfectly fine.

It's really popular among driving instructors as it's cheap, mostly reliable and gear changing on it is generally quite easy.

• Haha
Reactions: Y2K

biometrics

Test drove a 2016 i10 with 71,000km. So still has the balance of a 7 year/200,000km warranty. They do a Dekra Condition Report. Trade in on the Corsa is R23,000, no on-the-road fees and price is R105,000 for a total cost of ownership of R82,000.

Will take it pending a positive Dekra report as well as some minor scratches of the left being repaired.

I'm shopping at 10+ dealers and the offers and experience is vastly different.

Johnatan56

Test drove a 2016 i10 with 71,000km. So still has the balance of a 7 year/200,000km warranty. They do a Dekra Condition Report. Trade in on the Corsa is R23,000, no on-the-road fees and price is R105,000 for a total cost of ownership of R82,000.

Will take it pending a positive Dekra report as well as some minor scratches of the left being repaired.

I'm shopping at 10+ dealers and the offers and experience is vastly different.
Yep, one dealer in TV when I was buying last year, walked in saying my budget is R150k but can stretch to R200k if good straight up told me I can't afford anything there even though it's all second hand stuff. I remember going there two years before that when we last purchased a car, that sales agent was way better and they had quite a few cars on the lot going for R180k (though imho none of them were worth more than R140k at best, way overpriced there but expect to negotiate down).

Went to a new dealer around the corner, they were pretty good, sales person even made a plan to bring car around so I can test the one.

Other two places next to each other, the one Toyota sales person told me, when I asked what the fuel consumption was, "about R500". Then after that I had to explain to him that it's a 6 shift and not a 5 shift because the reverse was a gear. Still better than the place across the road that flat out refused me test driving anything there since they'd have to shift two cars around.

Other place there in Sunningdale was better, forgot the name, they just started a bit high in price but negotiated down, didn't end up going with them since preferred the Up.

I don't understand dealers, most of them don't seem to want to do business or won't lift a finger if you look like you're not spending at least half a bar.

My car is sold now though to family, don't need it since lock down and gone in a month.

Johnatan56

in case you want a small car, I would recommend the ford fiesta, outstanding car
That would be a tier up in cost. His tier would be more Ford Figo and I wouldn't recommend them anymore. They have an issue where the aircon fan bit will just die, and Ford will not fix it, only way to repair is to replace the entire thing which is a good R20-40k depending on who you ask, when you just need a couple of parts in it to be replaced.

biometrics

That would be a tier up in cost. His tier would be more Ford Figo and I wouldn't recommend them anymore. They have an issue where the aircon fan bit will just die, and Ford will not fix it, only way to repair is to replace the entire thing which is a good R20-40k depending on who you ask, when you just need a couple of parts in it to be replaced.
I owned a Getz for 18 months during a poor patch. Hyundai cars are amazing value. You can't go wrong.

Johnatan56

I owned a Getz for 18 months during a poor patch. Hyundai cars are amazing value. You can't go wrong.
Yeah, going to have to buy a car again in March, will see what I can get second hand or if I can go leasing, would prefer the latter as monthly payments are easier for a year or two and then upgrading to something actually good.

Will be fun as no credit record, yet will be able to pay the leasing cost for 2 years in one go, lol. Setting aside about 600 EUR/month for it (inc. of insurance), will see what I can get.

biometrics

After considering 20 x i10s locally and Cape Town, this is the winner, just been delivered:

IMG_20210129_104851__01.jpg