Car Recommendations

biometrics

A better starting point might be, what has she got at the moment and what doesn't she like about it?
An Opel Corsa Lite. She's a nervous driver so needs to be a small easy to handle and park car. It's rusting on the bonnet and roof. She hates that. I'm getting a quote to have it removed, might be the better option since it's only done 100,000km since 2008 and has new tires, full exhaust, battery and hatch air lifts. So other than the rust it's actually in a great condition with low mileage.

If she traded it in she'd like an auto rather than the current manual. But needs to be small and not flashy (like a Mini).

spiderz

An Opel Corsa Lite. She's a nervous driver so needs to be a small easy to handle and park car. It's rusting on the bonnet and roof. She hates that. I'm getting a quote to have it removed, might be the better option since it's only done 100,000km since 2008 and has new tires, full exhaust, battery and hatch air lifts. So other than the rust it's actually in a great condition with low mileage.

If she traded it in she'd like an auto rather than the current manual. But needs to be small and not flashy (like a Mini).
Keep it and drive it till it breaks.
Better to keep what you know is in good condition than buy someone elses problems.
But she needs to start putting money away monthly for a new car.

If it's just the rust bothering her, do a art work over it.
or just treat the rust and wrap those panels.

Düber

The bonnet is easily replaced, the roof a bit more of a problem.
If the mending can be done at a reasonable price then " rather the devil you know?"

If the car is solid underneath and you can have the cosmetics looked at, even if the rust comes back after a few years, it buys you that time to find the right car at the right time. I don't think its trade in value would decrease much more, and you would have a few more years of cheap motoring.

biometrics

Better to keep what you know is in good condition than buy someone elses problems.

If the mending can be done at a reasonable price then " rather the devil you know?"
I tend to agree. It's never had a single problem.

I'm getting quotes for the rust. The bonnet seems to be quite cheap surprisingly. If I can get it done for say R10k then it's totally worth it as the trade-in will then probably be R40k. She has R50k on top to spend. But doesn't really have to if it's back in good nick.

spiderz

I tend to agree. It's never had a single problem.

I'm getting quotes for the rust. The bonnet seems to be quite cheap surprisingly. If I can get it done for say R10k then it's totally worth it as the trade-in will then probably be R40k. She has R50k on top to spend. But doesn't really have to if it's back in good nick.
Send pix of the rust ... can't be that bad.

...well compared to my rustbucket of a mini

biometrics

Send pix of the rust ... can't be that bad.

...well compared to my rustbucket of a mini
It's pretty bad. The first rust removal place to reply said the bonnet and roof will need to be replaced. Caused by Melkbos and Hermanus sea air.

1604436779932.png

1604436830253.png

Excuse the cat's tail.

spiderz

Ok, that's quite bad.

bonnets needs to be replaced, and you might get away with a cheap repair on the roof, else replacement.

Düber

Can see why she is not happy.

You get aftermarket bonnets that are not expensive, the roof can be repaired I'm sure.

:) Perhaps you could get a super large enormous aerial to cover it up ?

Düber

They have quoted on doing the job the right way and it seems to be genuine parts.
A aftermarket bonnet should be around half that and a repair on the roof, although it won't be a "forever" fix, will save on a lot of work and hence money. I would shop around a bit, or ask them for alternatives.

I do hope their workmanship is better than their spelling.

biometrics

They have quoted on doing the job the right way and it seems to be genuine parts.
A aftermarket bonnet should be around half that and a repair on the roof, although it won't be a "forever" fix, will save on a lot of work and hence money. I would shop around a bit, or ask them for alternatives.

I do hope their workmanship is better than their spelling.
There are three companies that do that sort of work here. One's email bounced, the other didn't reply, this is the 3rd. I'll certainly go to all of them for quotes.

And original parts didn't help, did it? It rusted.

So far I've got an offer for R20k for a trade in as is. In the past year+ I replaced the tires, full exhaust, battery and hatch air lifts. So I'd feel cheated accepting that low ball offer. But then again R20k + R35 = R55 which is the max retail for this car.

No rush, waiting for money to come in during November.

Chingha

I've seen rust on all sorts of other places on those Corsas too.

I would get rid of it, or buy a cheap Highveld one and move the good bits over.

Then wait for that one to rust too.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk