Capturing video from a portion of the screen

Nicholas

I am playing around with MetaHuman Creator, and would like to be able to convert the preview animation to a video file that I can download to my computer without having to record the entire screen. Is there any free and uncomplicated software you would recommend I use to do this?

Thank you in advance,

scudsucker

What platform? I did this just yesterday with QuickTime on a Mac. Fairly easy to capture a specific area of the screen, editing was not so much fun ("edit" here means trim, took a while to figure out. There is no other editing functionality)

slayer

You can use OBS Studio.. Simple to use and an absolute ton of online help if needed..

You can set the source as the screen you want to record and then right click the source. Add filter. Add Crop/Pad.

Then you can right-click the source in the Sources list as 'set output size' which will set your canvas and output sizes to match the source size, since doing only the above will result in the negative space you cropped out, being recorded as well..

scudsucker

Or, a more useful question: how is the preview presented to you? In a browser?

Edit: seems @slayer knows his shit

Nicholas

You can use OBS Studio.. Simple to use and an absolute ton of online help if needed..

You can set the source as the screen you want to record and then right click the source. Add filter. Add Crop/Pad.

Then you can right-click the source in the Sources list as 'set output size' which will set your canvas and output sizes to match the source size, since doing only the above will result in the negative space you cropped out, being recorded as well..
Thank you, Slayer.

slayer

Or, a more useful question: how is the preview presented to you? In a browser?

Edit: seems @slayer knows his shit
Haha.. media related things like this form a little part of my job, so I have scratched around in OBS before..