Buying a mattress

Tribs

This is something I always find hard to do as it is one thing that determines the state you are in for most of the day.

I need help with this. I am terrible at selecting furniture - and even worse at beds.

My main considerations.
  • It needs to be comfortable and king-sized
  • It must be hypoallergenic
  • Must not move when my partner does
  • Must not sag over time - so needs to hold overweight people
  • Must not make me hotter than I already am at night
Currently looking at this one - though it is more expensive than I would like

Do you have any suggestions?

biometrics

This is something I always find hard to do as it is one thing that determines the state you are in for most of the day.

I need help with this. I am terrible at selecting furniture - and even worse at beds.

My main considerations.
  • It needs to be comfortable and king-sized
  • It must be hypoallergenic
  • Must not move when my partner does
  • Must not sag over time - so needs to hold overweight people
  • Must not make me hotter than I already am at night
Currently looking at this one - though it is more expensive than I would like

Do you have any suggestions?
My current mattress is also a turn free pillow top. It's nice and comfy but this means you can't flip it over to make it last longer.

bigAl-sa

I have a Simmonds mattress. Best buy I ever made wrt to partner bouncing on the other side of the bed. It might not conform to your temp issue though.

Had a Sealy type mattress at Bakubung 2 weeks back, and the tannie kept waking me when she tossed around, which made me wish for home matress.

Not cheap though...

Papa Smurf

a King size bed is the same as 2 x single beds.
Consider this when it comes to money-saving

Simple Ways to Keep Two Twin Beds Together: 7 Steps

Rudolph Hart

If you want it to last, and if you’re “big-boned”, get a mattress that’s designed for large people. I last bought a mattress over twenty years ago, and the salesman pushed me to buy this one, and assured me that it would last the twenty years on the warranty (the mattress did, but the shop didn’t - it burnt down a few years back). I didn’t believe him, but he was right, it’s lasted twenty years. I can’t offer any direct advice on brands and models, though I will be watching other people’s recommendations.

For the record, I’m rather big-boned myself.

Tribs

If you want it to last, and if you’re “big-boned”, get a mattress that’s designed for large people. I last bought a mattress over twenty years ago, and the salesman pushed me to buy this one, and assured me that it would last the twenty years on the warranty (the mattress did, but the shop didn’t - it burnt down a few years back). I didn’t believe him, but he was right, it’s lasted twenty years. I can’t offer any direct advice on brands and models, though I will be watching other people’s recommendations.

For the record, I’m rather big-boned myself.
There should be a label on your mattress. Care to check for me? This is my plan with the above mentioned but SA doesn't seem to be big on this (though they should)

biometrics

There should be a label on your mattress. Care to check for me? This is my plan with the above mentioned but SA doesn't seem to be big on this (though they should)
Matresses are rated for weight, so don't cut it too close. Mine is for 120kg and I'm 20kg less (now).

Rudolph Hart

Had a quick look, the label must be underneath at the moment. Will try and get a better look later.