Best tech purchases for loadshedding

Blantyre

Has anyone bought any useful tech recently to make loadshedding more bearable?

I bought some rechargeable lamps and a USB to use my router via a powerbank. It has definitely made things much more bearable as I can now at least get stuff done while loadshedding. My laptop battery lasts the whole two hours.

Anyone bought anything good recently?

biometrics

Not recently but I have a small system made up of:

105 Ah deep cycle battery *
200W sine wave inverter *
Battery charger *
85W solar panel
Solar charge regulator

Items marked with * is the minimum you need. Note my gear is 15 years old so you can get much better now. But even with this I run my laptop and 27" display plus a light for two hours no problem.

You can get trolley kits with it all installed already, you don't need to source the components and assemble it. Mecer is a budget brand but uses modified sine wave inverters which is not recommended for electronics longevity, anything with a motor, like a fridge, hates modified sine wave, you may also pick up audio issues on a tv or hifi.

Düber

biometrics

We have some of these,
(they are cheaper at Makro etc. but this has a nice description)

They are really good and even being a few years old still last a good while.
The nice part is that your normal switch turns them on and off even if the power is off. Light is a bit dimmer running off the battery but perfectly useable.
Nice! Getting a few.

Edit: nooo! I must resist spending on load shedding rather than solving it.

Edit 2: goddammit, just a few to try...

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Had the 2x DC output version of this:
For router, worked well with ONT and router on FF, got for a friend and it couldn't stably handle the Vumatel ONT as that one fluctuates its power draw above what the voltage on the plug says.

Some UPS's, then had those 3W bulbs instead plugged into the UPS as well, their power draw is negligible.

satanboy

We have some of these,
(they are cheaper at Makro etc. but this has a nice description)

They are really good and even being a few years old still last a good while.
The nice part is that your normal switch turns them on and off even if the power is off. Light is a bit dimmer running off the battery but perfectly useable.
I have that (but screw-in), works a treat.