Battlefield 2042

Johnatan56

I know this was the way in the past, but thought I'd google a bit (again), it seems there is no difference anymore and in some cases it's actually slower in dual channel.

Pretty sure there are errors there, plus those are pre-2017 games, they will not actually use a lot of RAM, so all will fit on one stick and usually not have you max bandwidth. There are lots of others that state the opposite if running more modern titles that actually use more memory.

biometrics

Depends on budget, right now I think the 5600X is pretty sweet spot since 3600 had so many sales and it's a bit better than that, so will have at least 3/4 years of being upper end unless something very special happens, and will probably be fine for recommended for ~5 years.

The 12600K is also good, the issue there is basically you're paying a premium for the board since PCIe 5 lanes, and don't think that matters since not had PCIe 4 maxed out by storage yet.

Would get a 5600X with e.g. https://www.wootware.co.za/gigabyte...socket-am4-micro-atx-desktop-motherboard.html at R2400. RAM you can then go 3200MHz CL16, due to how infinity fabric clocks. That's the R2k difference.

But, I am influenced by my workload there, the larger L3 cache is a big deal for the C# and SQL code I work with, if not, you can take the R1400 reduction: https://www.wootware.co.za/amd-100-...9ghz-4-4ghz-boost-socket-am4-desktop-apu.html and that will end up being a ~5% performance difference usually in games, you can see what your binning is like and just undervolt a little and get same performance. Again, the AMD 3600 will be the new 2600K in terms of benchmark for games, 5600G will have no issue for a long while.

So for you I'd go:
CPU 5600G @ 4850 https://www.wootware.co.za/amd-100-...9ghz-4-4ghz-boost-socket-am4-desktop-apu.html
Mobo GB B550 AORUS @ R2400 https://www.wootware.co.za/gigabyte...socket-am4-micro-atx-desktop-motherboard.html
RAM you can go 3600 CL16 https://www.wootware.co.za/g-skill-...-3600mhz-cl18-1-35v-black-desktop-memory.html it's sad memory kits in South Africa (even checking out Takealot and stuff) selection isn't great, should be able to get a CL12 3200MHz but just can't find anything, the tighter timing would be better than the added frequency for gaming, probably because most don't understand how it works and see bigger MHz and go must be better.

And that puts you at ~R10k.
Since my upgrades are so far between I have to relearn what’s going on each time. After doing homework today I understand your post better. Some questions:

- any big difference with this cheaper mobo with the same chipset? With four RAM slots I can start dual channel 16GB total with room to upgrade.
- this article has been helpful, 5600G vs 5600X is a R1,400 difference though. Worth it? Seems a stock cooler is not included with the 5800X and have yet to find the price for it.
- these CPUs only support 3200MHz RAM so wasting money on 3600MHz?

biometrics

So current shopping cart looking like this:

1641151658249.png

If I can figure out which cooler to use I might go 5800X. The i5-12600K is my preferred CPU but the mobos are ridiculously expensive and also excludes the cooler.

Johnatan56

Since my upgrades are so far between I have to relearn what’s going on each time. After doing homework today I understand your post better. Some questions:

- any big difference with this cheaper mobo with the same chipset? With four RAM slots I can start dual channel 16GB total with room to upgrade.
- this article has been helpful, 5600G vs 5600X is a R1,400 difference though. Worth it? Seems a stock cooler is not included with the 5800X and have yet to find the price for it.
- these CPUs only support 3200MHz RAM so wasting money on 3600MHz?
You mean 5600X? There is a stock cooler, it's good enough unless overclock, and I didn't really hear the fan in my case, but full metal case.

You can enable AMP (XMP for AMD) on the board and let the RAM clock higher, or just leave it at 3200MHz, it will have tighter timings then, but 3600 will be fine, you can also set it yourself, not a high clock so should be fine. It's not like Intel where they lock the RAM speed. 3600 is about a 5% increase in most titles if same timings.

Feel free to swap the mobo, there was no stock of it at the time and I know the Aorus board is good in terms of VRMs.

I just find 16GB of RAM cutting it for a lot of games nowadays if you play things like Space Engineers, or leave other things open while gaming, think Mankind Divided pushed 12GB, but can't remember anymore, but again, you're just playing BF, so feel free to do later. I would not go under 16, there are enough titles now that can't go under 8GB.

If you want to go 5800X cooler, I would get: https://www.amazon.com/-/en/Noctua-NH-U12S-Ultra-Quiet-Cooler-NF-F12/dp/B00C9EYVGY/
Just because Noctua so far has always just sold mounting kit separately so can carry to next generation, so you can just buy the mounting kits to a new socket and keep taking the cooler with, e.g. https://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit and then you just pay shipping. It is considered one of the best coolers on the market (if not the best) with best noise/performance.

I don't think the upgrade is really worth for gaming unless you intend to stream, do work or video editing or something.

Last edited:

biometrics

You mean 5600X? There is a stock cooler, it's good enough unless overclock, and I didn't really hear the fan in my case, but full metal case.

You can enable AMP (XMP for AMD) on the board and let the RAM clock higher, or just leave it at 3200MHz, it will have tighter timings then, but 3600 will be fine, you can also set it yourself, not a high clock so should be fine. It's not like Intel where they lock the RAM speed. 3600 is about a 5% increase in most titles if same timings.

Feel free to swap the mobo, there was no stock of it at the time and I know the Aorus board is good in terms of VRMs.

I just find 16GB of RAM cutting it for a lot of games nowadays if you play things like Space Engineers, or leave other things open while gaming, think Mankind Divided pushed 12GB, but can't remember anymore, but again, you're just playing BF, so feel free to do later. I would not go under 16, there are enough titles now that can't go under 8GB.

If you want to go 5800X cooler, I would get: https://www.amazon.com/-/en/Noctua-NH-U12S-Ultra-Quiet-Cooler-NF-F12/dp/B00C9EYVGY/
Just because Noctua so far has always just sold mounting kit separately so can carry to next generation, so you can just buy the mounting kits to a new socket and keep taking the cooler with, e.g. https://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit and then you just pay shipping. It is considered one of the best coolers on the market (if not the best) with best noise/performance.

I don't think the upgrade is really worth for gaming unless you intend to stream, do work or video editing or something.
Do I need thermal paste? Google seems to say for stock coolers it is pre-applied?

biometrics

Going for 32GB (2x16) 3200MHz CL16. Not a fan of overclocking. The G.Skill is a bit cheaper. So this seems to be the final cart:

1641241472197.png

biometrics

Johnatan56

This motherboard seems like such great value (and the cheapest part in this upgrade), better than boards up to double it's price. Any reason not to get it? They all strangely have VGA/DVI/PS2.

The video out ports are if you have an APU CPU, you won't use that.

The more expensive ones are due to: more USB ports, or faster LAN, or WiFi, or better VRMs, etc.
The lack of USB ports might bother me, not a fan of docks, but the 4 LAN ports outside of mouse and keyboard should be fine for you.
That PS/2 port is actually interesting, would love to have one for keyboard, I type fast enough sometimes that it does cause issues sometimes for me with n key roll-over at 8 keys, but all my keyboards are already USB, so don't think it would matter/make a difference.

biometrics

The video out ports are if you have an APU CPU, you won't use that.

The more expensive ones are due to: more USB ports, or faster LAN, or WiFi, or better VRMs, etc.
The lack of USB ports might bother me, not a fan of docks, but the 4 LAN ports outside of mouse and keyboard should be fine for you.
That PS/2 port is actually interesting, would love to have one for keyboard, I type fast enough sometimes that it does cause issues sometimes for me with n key roll-over at 8 keys, but all my keyboards are already USB, so don't think it would matter/make a difference.
Btw are you running Windows 11 on the 5600X?

Johnatan56

Btw are you running Windows 11 on the 5600X?
Nope, that one is Windows 10, there is no reason to move to W11 yet really unless Intel efficiency cores (also I got it about two days after it first became available on wootware, way before W11 launch).

Last edited:

biometrics

Decided to start with 16GB (2x8), can always add another set as the mobo has four slots.

/ordered

:D

I see I can sell my LGA1155 mobo, i7 3770 and 2x8 DDR3 1600 for about R2,000 on Carbonite. Can also sell the 1050 for about R1,200, though the damn thing didn't boot up recently, so need to check that out. Returning the Airfryer for R1,600 as it's likely not to be used much. Getting several HDMI to VGA converters for my housemates new laptop to work with an old Samsung 23", so will likely return R670 of those if the cheaper Baobab works. So the cost of R8,800 - R2,000 - R1,200 - R1,600 - R670 = R3,330 is a great upgrade for little money. (y)

Last edited:

biometrics

Nope, that one is Windows 10, there is no reason to move to W11 yet really unless Intel efficiency cores (also I got it about two days after it first became available on wootware, way before W11 launch).
Probably need to reinstall Windows anyway since it's currently an i7 3770. Worth it for Win 11 then?

It is supported:

Johnatan56

biometrics

The i7 3770 doesn't support W11? I'd stick with 10 then swap in a year or two on the AMD system.
No man, the 3770 is way too slow to play BF2042 at any decent quality/frame rate (it's 3rd gen from 2012). It gets retired next week. But I am open to sticking with Win 10 vs Win 11 on the 5600X. Any benefit?

Johnatan56

No man, the 3770 is way to slow to play BF2042 at any decent quality/frame rate. It gets retired next week. But I am open to sticking with Win 10 vs Win 11 on the 5600X. Any benefit?
I meant the i7 doesn't support W11, and no point on the AMD CPU, rather swap at a later date, you have 3 years until W10 support ends.
The benefits of W11 right now for that are some features coming that are mostly dev interesting like gpu pass through for WSL, besides that pretty much nothing gaming atm.

biometrics

I meant the i7 doesn't support W11, and no point on the AMD CPU, rather swap at a later date, you have 3 years until W10 support ends.
The benefits of W11 right now for that are some features coming that are mostly dev interesting like gpu pass through for WSL, besides that pretty much nothing gaming atm.
Noted. In the past it was always a good idea to reinstall Windows when changing hardware. Is that still relevant when changing mobo/CPU? It is a pain...

Johnatan56

Noted. In the past it was always a good idea to reinstall Windows when changing hardware. Is that still relevant when changing mobo/CPU? It is a pain...
Upgrading from intel to another intel, wouldn't really matter much, but going intel to AMD I'd do a fresh install. Going to W11 you can just upgrade, should be fine.

GPU you'd just use DDU and it isn't an issue, but that doesn't apply to you this time.

biometrics

Upgrading from intel to another intel, wouldn't really matter much, but going intel to AMD I'd do a fresh install. Going to W11 you can just upgrade, should be fine.

GPU you'd just use DDU and it isn't an issue, but that doesn't apply to you this time.
Finally got around to doing the upgrade today. The existing Windows 10 booted up fine without any complaints amazingly. Windows then deactivated my free license (upgraded from Windows 7 for free), fuckers! Online codes didn't work so I bought one for $7.40 which activated fine (https://www.keysoff.com/windows-10-professional-32-64-bit-1-pc.html). Who knows how they manage it so cheap but it's not for me to ask. Then upgraded to Windows 11. Will check for updated drivers and apps tomorrow. Then to test BF2042...

biometrics

Well if "WAITING FOR PLAYERS TO JOIN" is the game then it's great. But that's all it does it seems. Meh, money wasted afterall.