Azure, VisualStudio and Web development.

Tribs

Ok - I am into learning Azure and Visual Studio. For my first project - while I learn - I want to create a web site. I actually have no idea where to start. I have done Azure Fundamentals (AZ900) and done part of Azure Administrator (AZ103). I have not used C# and html in like forever (was a long time ago and it was not related to webdesign).

Do not suggest doing it in other software as I am doing this to learn VS and AzureDevOps etc (and yes I can host in Linux vms @spiderz )

What would be the best way for me to begin ? I am watching a lot of videos - reading a lot of docs. Is there a place I can get a generic template from?

Tribs

Can someone point me to a source - or explain - how a simple website actually works? Where is the content stored? I know this is stupid but until I can see it in pictures in my head - I cannot plan what I want. I know more complex ones are linked to databases like SQL or some table somewhere.

What is really stupid is that I can build SharePoint sites - and I know how it uses site content. Are normal websites the same?

Some of you know that my company site doesn't have anything that I actually do on it (partner controls the site content and it was done in a really old program). So I was thinking of building a site to cover the things I do. Content won't change that often but I want to try and make it interesting at least - not just fixed pages (I could do that in WordPress and really don't want to). But I need to know how it all fits together.

Ok found some old vids - (she is kinda cute too) - that explain that files are hosted on a webserver. So they would consist of text and graphic files I would assume. So I guess a database is not necessarily required unless you are collecting data or showing facts/figures.

Ok I just think I woke up stupid this morning - brain is starting to put things into place. But still happy to have someone confirm the pictures in my head

Last edited:

scudsucker

You have quite a few options here. I would use MVC because that is what I currently do, but even for a beginner a simple Razor Template website should be fine.

This tutorial does include a database, but it is not very complicated. It is focusing on getting the data on the page, and should answer your questions on folder structure etc.

It has been a while since I did .NET but I'm sure I can help out.

Tribs

Thanks so much - taking son to school for his exam and will check it out when I return.

Johnatan56

This was from before, some reason I couldn't post it yesterday:
Why are you learning Visual Studio specifically? Wouldn't you rather want to go VS Code route? Just asking because MS did a lot of work on their plugin integration there first, and seems to be porting it to VS after: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms-vsts.team

In regards to web development, you'd set up a C# API:

And then you'd create a different project, like a Vue.js project, and have it hook up using the info from the web api as a source.
And yes, I linked to the beta of v3, since it's going to be standard end of month, and you should rather just learn with it as the entire tooling around it became way easier.

The question is more come up with something to build and scope that out and build it, learn as you go along.

Can someone point me to a source - or explain - how a simple website actually works? Where is the content stored? I know this is stupid but until I can see it in pictures in my head - I cannot plan what I want. I know more complex ones are linked to databases like SQL or some table somewhere.

What is really stupid is that I can build SharePoint sites - and I know how it uses site content. Are normal websites the same?

Some of you know that my company site doesn't have anything that I actually do on it (partner controls the site content and it was done in a really old program). So I was thinking of building a site to cover the things I do. Content won't change that often but I want to try and make it interesting at least - not just fixed pages (I could do that in WordPress and really don't want to). But I need to know how it all fits together.

Ok found some old vids - (she is kinda cute too) - that explain that files are hosted on a webserver. So they would consist of text and graphic files I would assume. So I guess a database is not necessarily required unless you are collecting data or showing facts/figures.

Ok I just think I woke up stupid this morning - brain is starting to put things into place. But still happy to have someone confirm the pictures in my head
Content stored: what is the content type? So the question here is whether you want/need a database as it's dynamic content, or if you can hard code it as it will never/very rarely change.

E.g. this forum you'd need a database as the content is user driven, we can enter content into these fields and they get displayed. E-commerce sites with product would need it as well, etc.

Then you get static sites where it doesn't pull from a DB, you'd do this for e.g. a landing page for a local business as the content doesn't really change and it's generally not worth the effort of setting up the entire thing. You just serve the HTML, CSS, JS and images directly, no server compiling etc.

Wordpress is a CMS (content management system), it gets the info from the DB to display on the site, making it really easy to update the content without having to edit the actual HTML.

spiderz

... and how did it go?

for a sample project ... build a todo app :)