AV Receiver

biometrics

My Yamaha RX-V577 AV receiver packed up. I need a replacement. There doesn't seem to be any cheap models, starts on specials at R8,000. Those models have more than enough features for me but the Denon at R10,000 is way more future proof. The Yamaha has AM/FM and the Denon does not.

Options so far:

R8000

R10,000

biometrics

AV Receivers​

Unless you are getting repairs under warranty, the answer is almost always a NO! Modern AV receivers are a mass of logic boards, processors, and the like. While it is possible to get replacement parts, they are not cheap, and often require an authorized repair center to purchase and install the parts.

avr-x4700h-1i_19102020-scaled.jpg

When one part fails, it is usually the first step in a chain reaction. A faulty board could be just that, faulty. Or it could be a sign that your unit is dying, and you are prolonging life one expensive transplant at a time.

Now, if it’s a flagship receiver? That’s still a big maybe. If it’s old enough to be out of warranty, chances are that the tech is dated. That doesn’t always mean obsolete, but it’s the repair cost vs. age debate all over again. And if it’s a sign of a failing unit? It might be better to replace it.

Düber

It is a shame how things are not easily repairable.

It's a pity you are so far away, there is a chap that operates out of a container in Olievenhoutsbosch that is an absolute wizard. He managed to fix a Samsung tv for me that no one could and other lightning damaged stuff he has also managed to resurrect.
Samsung (and more than one agent) told me that they don't keep spares after 2 or 3 years or so and I should rather buy a new one.

That Denon does seem to be the best option but sadly it's not cheap.

biometrics

It is a shame how things are not easily repairable.

It's a pity you are so far away, there is a chap that operates out of a container in Olievenhoutsbosch that is an absolute wizard. He managed to fix a Samsung tv for me that no one could and other lightning damaged stuff he has also managed to resurrect.
Samsung (and more than one agent) told me that they don't keep spares after 2 or 3 years or so and I should rather buy a new one.

That Denon does seem to be the best option but sadly it's not cheap.
I did open the Yamaha to clean it from dust and to reseat connector cables. Didn’t help, not like there was dust anyway.

But I did notice everything are now on a few boards with several ICs. You can’t repair them. Only the internal power supply looked repairable with non IC components.

Will offer it to any taker on avforums before I dump it. Someone probably wants the remote.

scudsucker

Why is an "amplifier" called a "receiver"?

I have a Harmon-Kardon receiver, but it's job is to amplify. It does that really well. It doesn't really do much else.

Similar to this, but I bought it about 10 years ago for around 9 grand.

biometrics

Why is an "amplifier" called a "receiver"?

I have a Harmon-Kardon receiver, but it's job is to amplify. It does that really well. It doesn't really do much else.

Similar to this, but I bought it about 10 years ago for around 9 grand.
Typically has multiple HDMI and audio inputs, guess that is the receiver part.

satanboy

An AV (Audio/Video) receiver is an amplifier on steroids. Instead of the usual two channels found on a regular amplifier, a receiver has the ability to output audio into five, seven, 11, or even 13 different channels. It also has the ability to handle video data, usually through an HDMI connection. While it doesn’t differ from regular amplifiers too much in terms of appearance – for the most part, we’re talking big black boxes here – the difference comes from the amount of power it offers, the number of channels, and the sheer range of features. AV receivers are far more likely to offer features like room correction, Bluetooth, wireless functionality, and more.