Astronomers May Have Detected The First Radio Signal From an Exoplanet

Seldom Bucket

In our endless search to understand the Universe and our place within it, precious little blips in data can hint at entire new worlds.

Dips in the light levels of a star can betray the presence of orbiting planets - and now astronomers have taken the first steps towards using peeps of radio emission to reveal new exoplanetary mysteries.

"Observing planetary auroral radio emission is the most promising method to detect exoplanetary magnetic fields," explained Cornell University astronomer Jake Turner and colleagues in their new paper, "the knowledge of which will provide valuable insights into the planet's interior structure, atmospheric escape, and habitability."

When stellar wind - charged particles streaming from the host star - hits a planet's magnetic field, its change in speed can be detected as striking variations in radio emissions, statistically described as 'bursty'.

Earth's own magnetic field trills and squeaks like alien birds as it channels solar winds. We've also heard similar cries from other planets in our Solar System.

Papa Smurf

i picked up weird signals 20 years ago on SETI

SETI@Home's Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence comes to an end -  gHacks Tech News

Papa Smurf

I loved SETI, I ran 4 computers non stop to finish as many packets as possible, I think the highest certificate I got was the 250 Certificate. LOL

Reactions: OCP