Are manual cars still a thing? Is there even a future for the old gear stick?

SauRoN

No, not cvt.
Half a jazz engine yes, but a dct gearbox, not cvt.

Fanie bought his just after I got mine. He should have kept it, he wouldn't have been tempted into risky shit like that mt did to him

Also an interesting one is that they apparently cut the front and rear discs from a single piece of metal to keep the costs lower.

Sent from my iPhone

CloudStroller

I grew up driving manuals, and I have one at the moment. I'm so used to it that I don't even think about it.

I don't mind driving automatics, though when I first did it, it felt too much like playing a video game. I didn't really feel in control of the car properly. I got over this though.

The one thing I don't like about autos is the lack of ability to ride the clutch. My grandmother has a sloping-down driveway, for example, and trying to reverse (uphill) out of that in a manual is much easier than in an automatic.

Sinbad

I grew up driving manuals, and I have one at the moment. I'm so used to it that I don't even think about it.

I don't mind driving automatics, though when I first did it, it felt too much like playing a video game. I didn't really feel in control of the car properly. I got over this though.

The one thing I don't like about autos is the lack of ability to ride the clutch. My grandmother has a sloping-down driveway, for example, and trying to reverse (uphill) out of that in a manual is much easier than in an automatic.
Seriously? I wouldn't have said so.

That said, I do <3 my car's automatic hill hold.

CloudStroller

My (manual) car has hill start assist. It was a bit weird to get used to but it isn't a problem now.

Maybe it's the automatics that I've driven, my mother's Honda Jazz and my dad's Audi multitronic, both CVTs. It seems to be something to do with the automatic clutch. In s manual car, it's quite easy to let the clutch out until it just bites, then foot off the brakes and you can control your speed reversing out of the driveway just by modulating your left foot on the clutch.

The automatics seem to want to disengage to prevent a stall or something, so I end up having to use both feet, giving petrol to actually engage the clutch, and controlling speed with my left foot on the brakes which is hard because since I'm not a racing driver I'm used to braking with the right foot.

Maybe other skilled drivers don't struggle with this kind of problem with automatics but I do.

bigAl-sa

The automatics seem to want to disengage to prevent a stall or something, so I end up having to use both feet, giving petrol to actually engage the clutch, and controlling speed with my left foot on the brakes which is hard because since I'm not a racing driver I'm used to braking with the right foot.

Maybe other skilled drivers don't struggle with this kind of problem with automatics but I do.
The clever crap on my Ranger (manual) opens the throttle when it thinks you're going to stall in any gear other than first. This is scary when you are doing engine braking. No ways to switch it off either.

SauRoN

My (manual) car has hill start assist. It was a bit weird to get used to but it isn't a problem now.

Maybe it's the automatics that I've driven, my mother's Honda Jazz and my dad's Audi multitronic, both CVTs. It seems to be something to do with the automatic clutch. In s manual car, it's quite easy to let the clutch out until it just bites, then foot off the brakes and you can control your speed reversing out of the driveway just by modulating your left foot on the clutch.

What happens if you just take both feet off the pedals and let it do it all by itself?

With my DSG this was the only way to get up some very slippery grassy inclines once but that actually has proper clutches in but would also disengage if putting foot down probably due to the traction control.

Never recall having an issue in my mom’s CVT Jazz up hills but then again haven’t tried it in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone

SauRoN

When i take mine out this weekend, I'll try find a hill to reverse up...

JK -Benoni is flat.

It is odd though and I wonder what the reason would be since they don’t actually have a clutch.

Sent from my iPhone

CloudStroller

What happens if you just take both feet off the pedals and let it do it all by itself?

You mean in the automatics? I don't think I've ever tried to do that. The suggestion just gives me nightmares of rolling forwards through the garage door.

Maybe next time I visit my folks I'll try that trick about halfway up the driveway just to give myself a bit of time to react if things go pear-shaped... but it'll be a while because they're in Gauteng and I'm in Cape Town...

SauRoN

You mean in the automatics? I don't think I've ever tried to do that. The suggestion just gives me nightmares of rolling forwards through the garage door.

Maybe next time I visit my folks I'll try that trick about halfway up the driveway just to give myself a bit of time to react if things go pear-shaped... but it'll be a while because they're in Gauteng and I'm in Cape Town...

In theory it should very slowly do it’s job and just climb the hill.

Haven’t done it in reverse specifically but works well going forwards.

Sent from my iPhone