Apple Watch & Fitness+

biometrics

No go. Can't make or receive calls. Watch says it's on Vodacom but when you try to call it says call failed in a few seconds. Calling the watch goes to voice mail.

Logged a new ticket as they closed the previous one. Back in the queue...

Spizz

No go. Can't make or receive calls. Watch says it's on Vodacom but when you try to call it says call failed in a few seconds. Calling the watch goes to voice mail.

Logged a new ticket as they closed the previous one. Back in the queue...

FFS

Dave

New toy arrived, fecker must be on Watch OS 5, won’t accept my backup :mad:

Ended up it was on OS6 something, so I had to set up as a new watch, then update to 7.2 and then reset and it would accept my backup from this morning.

Now all set up (it even offered to automatically install a calling plan :p).

Everything is go, I didn’t think the always on display was a big deal, but I like it. Only one snag is one of my bank cards doesn’t want to reinstall (Starling Bank, Twitter seem to say it’s a bank bug), but my main cards are on so no big deal).

biometrics

Guy from Vodacom called. He is stumped.

Says that a new memo was received that the watch wifi must be off during activation due to the new firmware. So busy with my second reset of the day and will try that...

First reset didn't offer the activation. So removed the plan from the watch app. Then reset again.

biometrics

Got it to work!

Had to forget my wifi networks on the watch!

Realised in control center that I don't see the signal strenth and then learned the meaning of black/white/blue/green button colours, that allowed me to experiment.

So there is a routing bug.

I guess the phone pairing copied my wifi logins over.

biometrics

Oh, also, the iPhone airplane mode works differently. In airplane mode the wifi and bluetooth options are togglable. Airplane mode remembers it. So turning on airplane mode on a newly reset iPhone keeps both enabled by default. As an Android user you'd think they were off. That was another confounding factor.

Dave

Got it to work!

Had to forget my wifi networks on the watch!

Realised in control center that I don't see the signal strenth and then learned the meaning of black/white/green button colours, that allowed me to experiment.

So there is a routing bug.

I guess the phone pairing copied my wifi logins over.

well, there’s a mission impossible mission complete ;)

biometrics

well, there’s a mission impossible mission complete ;)
I'll be schooling the Vodacom tech when he calls Monday.

It's an Apple bug imo. If your watch is connected to wifi (your home network) then cellular doesn't activate. Want to test it out?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Y2K

Spizz

I'll be schooling the Vodacom tech when he calls Monday.

It's an Apple bug imo. If your watch is connected to wifi (your home network) then cellular doesn't activate. Want to test it out?

Yep, checks out. I haven’t played with it at all until now but just saw that when phone and watch are disconnected from WiFi and Bluetooth then the cellular icon on the watch turns green and you get signal strength on the dots above it. First time I’ve seen this. So all the time when the cellular icon is white, it’s connected to either the phone or the home WiFi.

It makes me wonder how I managed to enable Vodacom on the watch then because I’m never away from my phone or WiFi. And so it’s not connected to Vodacom on cellular to allow the activation.

Edit: Yaaaaaaayyyyy

Reactions: Y2K