Apple Watch & Fitness+

biometrics

Anyone got one and using it with Fitness+?

I’m tempted to get it.

Your impressions and recommendation? How do you find Fitness+?

Is the 6 worth it for the blood oxygen?

biometrics

Ok seems you must have an iPhone 6s or later to set up an Apple Watch. Once it’s set up you don’t need it. I only have a 5s so can’t do it. Not getting a new phone just for that, my OnePlus 6T is still great. Pity as the watch will work with my iPad Mini 4 with Fitness+ without an iPhone.

biometrics

Fitness+ only launches in SA in a few months. I’ll get it then for the study workouts. In the mean time after a lot of research I’ve pulled the trigger on an Apple Watch 3 Cellular and a used Apple Iphone 7 (of which I’ll get the money back in a few months for app development) for the current Fitness app. With the cellular option I can go hiking, cycling and walking without my phone and make and receive emergency calls without carrying my phone. The feedback from the app and the geek value will help encourage me to be active.

SauRoN

Yeah was about to say no Fitness+ in SA just yet but I might be interested depending on how Apple One pricing looks in SA for family plans.

With Google Photos starting to charge and my Apple TV+ subs expiring in February I would much rather give Apple my money for everything.

My Watch journey started at the Series 3 thanks to eBucks, with the same logic that just being aware of it tracking would inspire me and I must say before lockdown that certainly was the case as I walked my kids to school etc as part of my routine.

Lockdown has cocked it all up so maybe 2021 is better.

Upgraded to the Series 5 thanks to eBucks once again by and large for the fall detection as I reckon it should work in the case of moering off motorcycles. The always on screen was a surprise non-feature for me which I now likely can’t live without, much like I never gave a damn about FaceID until getting it.

I can quite honestly say I would never bother with cellular though. The Watch just isn’t enough on it’s own. Rather use it as a relay and put the phone in your backpack.

Sent from my iPhone

biometrics

Yeah was about to say no Fitness+ in SA just yet but I might be interested depending on how Apple One pricing looks in SA for family plans.

With Google Photos starting to charge and my Apple TV+ subs expiring in February I would much rather give Apple my money for everything.

My Watch journey started at the Series 3 thanks to eBucks, with the same logic that just being aware of it tracking would inspire me and I must say before lockdown that certainly was the case as I walked my kids to school etc as part of my routine.

Lockdown has cocked it all up so maybe 2021 is better.

Upgraded to the Series 5 thanks to eBucks once again by and large for the fall detection as I reckon it should work in the case of moering off motorcycles. The always on screen was a surprise non-feature for me which I now likely can’t live without, much like I never gave a damn about FaceID until getting it.

I can quite honestly say I would never bother with cellular though. The Watch just isn’t enough on it’s own. Rather use it as a relay and put the phone in your backpack.

Sent from my iPhone
iStore is selling the Watch 3 GPS at the same price as the Cellular so that was a no brainer.

I also want to start cycling again so don't want to carry a backpack and phone.

biometrics

Signed up for a Vodacom Smart XS+ (50 min, 50 sms, 350 MB) for R129/month for the phone and R29/month for the watch eSIM. Cheap enough to try for two years.

Johnatan56

1. Measuring blood oxygen at the wrist is useless, it's inaccurate, you measure it at finger tips
2. The apple watch (and the Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 for that matter) do not measure it very accurately
3. There is no point at measuring it consistently/random times during the day, rather get a proper oximeter, they're cheap enough compared to an Apple Watch (R300 for cheap and around R1k for middle going up to R2k or so for the higher end home use ones)

This is on a Watch 3:
1609095790306.png
So I got 96%, now what does that tell me? Nothing, because if you have blood oxygen issues you are probably already feeling symptoms, so no point measuring randomly through the day.

Even generally measuring HR is kind of useless, I only do it for Vitality, I can feel if I am pushing myself doing exercise already, but there it's a little bit of a better argument if you want to see how far you're pushing yourself while the blood oxygen test tells you nothing.

Reactions: Y2K

Johnatan56

Huh, the 3 doesn’t have blood oxygen sensor?
Region locked, my phone is set to US (not sure if worldwide unlocked yet). Is a little annoying that I can't use my FNB card for Samsung Pay unless I change to South Africa, but want the US Google Assistant version.

Last edited:

biometrics

Region locked, my phone is set to US (not sure if worldwide unlocked yet). Is a little annoying that I can't use my FNB card for Samsung Pay unless I change to South Africa, but want the US Google Assistant version.
Oh I thought you meant Apple Watch 3, since the thread is titled Apple.

Johnatan56

Oh I thought you meant Apple Watch 3, since the thread is titled Apple.
Ah thought it was clear since I mentioned it in point 2 and apple watch is square so screenshot can't be round.

EDIT:
I'm actually quite enjoying the Samsung Watch 3, the specific exercise tracking makes it a lot nicer to track some workouts with arm movements, so I see myself doing them more often, e.g. burpee test (right now doing 3 sets of 15, upping it by 1 every 3rd day at the moment, hoping to hit 20 by mid Jan, but it's pretty tough, was a bit of a jump going from 10 - 12, and then a huge impact going to 15 so went 14 to 15 a few days later, in 2 minutes went to 160bpm as the "warm up"). The tracking does help me compared to the fitbit where the manual rep count toggling meant pretty much never used it and ended up not pushing myself after a while.

Last edited:

biometrics

Finally got the phone and watch cases. Setup was ridiculously easy using my iPad as the source.

biometrics

Watch 7.2 update removed my eSim, ffs.

Was trying to demo to the housemate the coolness. Demo aborted.

• Haha
Reactions: Y2K

Spizz

I got the SE watch from Santa to replace my 3 and because I’m on the U.K. App Store it comes with a three month Fitness+ trial. I’ve no idea what to use it for so I’ll probably not bother activating it.

biometrics

I got the SE watch from Santa to replace my 3 and because I’m on the U.K. App Store it comes with a three month Fitness+ trial. I’ve no idea what to use it for so I’ll probably not bother activating it.
It's studio trainers. Prerecorded. So if you like going to the gym or workshops you'll like this. You can "compete" against your piers. Need an iPhone, iPad or better an Apple TV + big screen. (Back on RL5 so that's my Feb eBucks purchase.) Competes with e.g. Peleton.

I want to get it when it is available here. Need to get into stretching for example, desk life has fucked up my body. Can't even stand for ten minutes before my lower back bothers me.

biometrics

Can't get the esim to activate again. Enough shit for one day. Will try again tomorrow.