Apple Pay launched in South Africa

biometrics

After months of apparent delays, Apple Pay has finally been launched in South Africa. Customers from Nedbank, Absa and Discovery Bank were on Tuesday morning able to load their bank cards into their Apple wallets.

Surprisingly, there’s no word yet on when Apple Pay will be available to those who bank with FNB. FNB Card CEO Chris Labuschagne told TechCentral: “We’re working with Apple and look forward to bringing Apple Pay to our customers. Once available, it will be accessible at scale to nearly a million iPhone users from our six million digitally active customers.”

@Spizz

biometrics

I want to use FNB for eBucks but at least I can load my ABSA card on my Apple Watch so long. Don't expect to use it, just as a backup. Handy when going to cycle with my watch only.

Spizz

After months of apparent delays, Apple Pay has finally been launched in South Africa. Customers from Nedbank, Absa and Discovery Bank were on Tuesday morning able to load their bank cards into their Apple wallets.

Surprisingly, there’s no word yet on when Apple Pay will be available to those who bank with FNB. FNB Card CEO Chris Labuschagne told TechCentral: “We’re working with Apple and look forward to bringing Apple Pay to our customers. Once available, it will be accessible at scale to nearly a million iPhone users from our six million digitally active customers.”

@Spizz

Yep, loaded my Discovery card onto phone and watch already. No FNB is annoying though but although it's handy to have, it's no big deal to meas long as you have one card you can use if you are out and about whithout a wallet.

biometrics

@Spizz

Spizz

Have you created and loaded a virtual card for the eBucks points?

I have indeed. I'm on my second one after an unfortunate incident where I lost R50 in a scam (long story) with the first VC I made. So easy to cancel and make another one, it's a good system. But I've now got Netflix, YouTube, Spotify and Showmax loaded on the 2nd VC for the maximum 2000 points.

I don't know if there's an eBucks benefit to adding a VC to Apple Pay though?

biometrics

I have indeed. I'm on my second one after an unfortunate incident where I lost R50 in a scam (long story) with the first VC I made. So easy to cancel and make another one, it's a good system. But I've now got Netflix, YouTube, Spotify and Showmax loaded on the 2nd VC for the maximum 2000 points.

I don't know if there's an eBucks benefit to adding a VC to Apple Pay though?
Yeah I have two services on a VC but need to load it to my phone for tap to pay which wasn't working in June. When I tried App/Settings/FNB Pay earlier it was offline. I need those points.

Spizz

Yeah I have two services on a VC but need to load it to my phone for tap to pay which wasn't working in June. When I tried App/Settings/FNB Pay earlier it was offline. I need those points.

I don't know if you still follow the thread on the other side, but here's a post from last week I saved for easy wins. I'm wondering if point 4 will now have Apple Pay payments added into it? I'm hoping so as it'll be 1000 points for VC Apple Pay payments.

----

Ebucks monthly reminders:

1. View the "track my rewards" tab on the app. FNB app -> Ebucks -> Earn -> Track my rewards [500 points]

2. Set up at least 3 Smart budget categories and access your Smart budget every month [1000 points] (not applicable to Private Wealth clients)

3. Maintain a healthy credit score and access your Smart budget each month (not applicable to Private Wealth clients):

Light amber status: 1000 points
Light green status: 1000 points
Dark green status: 1000 points

2. (if you have kids) Have a transactional FNBy account OR grow your FNBy savings account balance [1000 points]:

Premier: R200
PC: R300
PW: R400

3. App transactions (app payments/transfers) [2000 points]:

Premier: 6 transactions
PC: 8 transactions
PW: 10 transactions

4. FNB Pay app payment (Tap to pay, Scan to Pay or Checkout) [500 points/1000 points with VCC]:

Premier: 2 transactions
PC: 3 transactions
PW: 4 transactions

Quick and easy, can be done for as low as R2.00.

Buy airtime from Takealot (any amount). Select Masterpass as the checkout method and scan the QR code using FNB Pay.

5. Streaming or online platforms:

Make use of/make a payment to any of the following platforms:

Deezer, iTunes, Netflix, Spotify, YouTube, Showmax, SweepSouth, Audible, Google Play, Mr D Food, Uber OR Uber Eats, PlayStation, Xbox, Google, Bolt, Checkers Sixty60

2 streaming or online services using Virtual Card: 1000 points
4 streaming or online services, at least 2 using Virtual Card: 1500 points
4 streaming or online services using Virtual Card: 2000 points

biometrics

I don't know if you still follow the thread on the other side, but here's a post from last week I saved for easy wins. I'm wondering if point 4 will now have Apple Pay payments added into it? I'm hoping so as it'll be 1000 points for VC Apple Pay payments.

----

Ebucks monthly reminders:

1. View the "track my rewards" tab on the app. FNB app -> Ebucks -> Earn -> Track my rewards [500 points]

2. Set up at least 3 Smart budget categories and access your Smart budget every month [1000 points] (not applicable to Private Wealth clients)

3. Maintain a healthy credit score and access your Smart budget each month (not applicable to Private Wealth clients):

Light amber status: 1000 points
Light green status: 1000 points
Dark green status: 1000 points

2. (if you have kids) Have a transactional FNBy account OR grow your FNBy savings account balance [1000 points]:

Premier: R200
PC: R300
PW: R400

3. App transactions (app payments/transfers) [2000 points]:

Premier: 6 transactions
PC: 8 transactions
PW: 10 transactions

4. FNB Pay app payment (Tap to pay, Scan to Pay or Checkout) [500 points/1000 points with VCC]:

Premier: 2 transactions
PC: 3 transactions
PW: 4 transactions

Quick and easy, can be done for as low as R2.00.

Buy airtime from Takealot (any amount). Select Masterpass as the checkout method and scan the QR code using FNB Pay.

5. Streaming or online platforms:

Make use of/make a payment to any of the following platforms:

Deezer, iTunes, Netflix, Spotify, YouTube, Showmax, SweepSouth, Audible, Google Play, Mr D Food, Uber OR Uber Eats, PlayStation, Xbox, Google, Bolt, Checkers Sixty60

2 streaming or online services using Virtual Card: 1000 points
4 streaming or online services, at least 2 using Virtual Card: 1500 points
4 streaming or online services using Virtual Card: 2000 points
No, don't spend any time on mybb anymore.

I need the tap to pay points and now it needs to be a VC to get enough points.

Edit: this is useful to know though: Select Masterpass as the checkout method and scan the QR code using FNB Pay.

Spizz

No, don't spend any time on mybb anymore.

I need the tap to pay points and now it needs to be a VC to get enough points.

Edit: this is useful to know though: Select Masterpass as the checkout method and scan the QR code using FNB Pay.

Oh cool. I see that now.

biometrics

Oh cool. I see that now.
I see I can add the VC to Apple Pay and then to the Watch. But the FNB verification isn't working atm. Still can't add the VC to my Android phone, poor show from FNB. They launch this thing, add it as a rule to eBucks and it doesn't work 5 weeks after the start of the new rules. Pathetic imo.

Spizz

I see I can add the VC to Apple Pay and then to the Watch. But the FNB verification isn't working atm. Still can't add the VC to my Android phone, poor show from FNB. They launch this thing, add it as a rule to eBucks and it doesn't work 5 weeks after the start of the new rules. Pathetic imo.

How did you add them? I added both physical cards through the wallet app on my iPhone and watch and got the OTP sms immediately. For the VC I added it through the FNB app, selected email for the OTP (which is listed as my 2nd choice for OTP) and that also came immediately.

biometrics

How did you add them? I added both physical cards through the wallet app on my iPhone and watch and got the OTP sms immediately. For the VC I added it through the FNB app, selected email for the OTP (which is listed as my 2nd choice for OTP) and that also came immediately.
Wallet app on phone. Only trying the VC atm as I need it for eBucks. Got the sms immediately but after entering it it remains unverified. If I try to change the verification method it indicates the verification system is offline. Not surprised as I got a FNB notification yesterday evening that their systems were broken and all is fixed, guess it broke again.

Not sure I can add it via my Android FNB app. Lemme check... (the iPhone is only used for the watch).

biometrics

Nah, looks like the FNB Android app watch support is for Samsung etc., not Apple.

Not a biggie, will try again tonight.

If I have to I can use that Masterpass Takealot pay to scan to do my three payments. Will buy two vouchers in two transactions and then pay for the cart with a third transaction (using the vouchers). But I'm sure FNB will sort it out.

biometrics

Might load the FNB app on my iPhone and do what you did if I don't come right.

biometrics

Nothing worked. Had to remove and add the VC again and then it worked. Will try to pay with my watch later...

Spizz

Nothing worked. Had to remove and add the VC again and then it worked. Will try to pay with my watch later...
I'm pinging away left right and centre with my watch. I used AP today with the VC at Clicks and Woolies.