Apple Events

biometrics

Today 7pm SA time.

Johnatan56

Wow, just tuned in to the new iPad mini, and they're like "strongest ever", obviously, then brag about aluminum being 100% recycled, well obviously because it's cheaper to use recycled one (5% of energy use), something like 75% of all aluminum mined is still in use.

Watch now has fall detection for cycling, that took a while.

New iPad Mini has side mounted TouchID, a lot of people didn’t think Apple would ever do that.

It's good, but I need to figure out when it's time to upgrade the old one how to get my gran used to it. /sigh.

New Watch largest and best display ever, obviously, stop with the ever nonsense. Hate the way they market stuff. That new display is BS, that's Samsung's new OLED, the way it curves is new version, and I would be super worried because that looks like I'll knock it on the wall and break it.

"Best experience of any apple watch" I wonder why you'd make a new watch worse, I hate this nonsense.

"Same, great 18 hour battery life" garbage battery life, 45 minutes to 80% charging is "30% faster", that's still not great.

And again bragging watch is aluminum recycled and battery as well, both are cheaper that way, they're not doing it for environment, hate the marketing.

Last edited:

biometrics

Underwhelming. Nothing convinces me to upgrade any of my devices. No AR.

biometrics

The only thing I wanted was Fitness+ and that’s not happening. Wonder how hard it is to gippo it? I want to get fit once my diet is done in a few weeks.

43A4E4E9-9F3B-4A08-8493-6F6CA0C1AB28.jpeg

biometrics

Though my iPad Mini 4 is a bit slow it still works fine for for the purpose I have it for, living next to me bed for browsing and movies.

Johnatan56

Underwhelming. Nothing convinces me to upgrade any of my devices. No AR.
You won't see anything proper AR for Apple before 2023, probs 2024/2025.

By proper AR I mean glasses or something like that.

Proper AR hardware is basically the Quest 2 now, and that isn't that great (those camera sensors don't do color, but supposedly they're working on some algorithms to bring it in), and display wise most still have issues with very small field of view, low refresh rate and battery life, Apple is dependent on LG/Samsung to bring that out and then Apple can implement, LG has some transparent displays now but they're first iteration last year so they still need to figure out how to scale that down.

In regards to AR in phones and tablets, that's mostly already there, what are you actually looking for?

Also Apple will not be first for AR, it will be Facebook probably with Google second, and maybe MS first but MS will be business and not consumer (E.g. holo lens). It's one of those cases where Apple can use their SoC lead that whatever the competitors bring out, it doesn't matter, and then also integrate into devices, so let the others test it first and get legislation etc. sorted.

biometrics

You won't see anything proper AR for Apple before 2023, probs 2024/2025.

By proper AR I mean glasses or something like that.

Proper AR hardware is basically the Quest 2 now, and that isn't that great (those camera sensors don't do color, but supposedly they're working on some algorithms to bring it in), and display wise most still have issues with very small field of view, low refresh rate and battery life, Apple is dependent on LG/Samsung to bring that out and then Apple can implement, LG has some transparent displays now but they're first iteration last year so they still need to figure out how to scale that down.

In regards to AR in phones and tablets, that's mostly already there, what are you actually looking for?
Something like Hololens but better.

Johnatan56

7 pm SA time.

Only thing that will probably be interesting is the new Airpods Pro, would guess new version with more battery life since lots of manufacturers released new ones the last few weeks that have gotten a good upgrade there. Even my older Samsung buds live have 6-8 hours battery life (2020).
Would expect the pods pro to go 6-8 hours as well.

Also an apple watch SE 2 would be nice, they force more interest in the watch space so maybe we'll get something good. Still sad that Samsung dropped the proper Bezel on the 5, guess I am waiting on 6/competitor.

Outside of that, doubt anything actually interesting/major outside of maybe notch shrink.

I am going to bet they'll say how great they are about the environment, how they went with recycled aluminum (as though the reason isn't because it's cheaper).

biometrics

The usual incremental improvements.

The SOS feature is interesting but of no use here.
The way they dealt with the notch is interesting visual trickery but still not interested.

Johnatan56

iPhone 14: The iPhone 14 isn't a big leap from the iPhone 13, and that includes the new phone's $799 (AU$1,399) price tag. It runs on an A15 system-on-chip as before, but Apple has turned to a 5-core GPU for improved performance over last year's phone. While the main camera is still 12MP, there's a bigger sensor for improved low-light photos.

iPhone 14 Plus: Think of the iPhone 14 Plus as a larger version of the iPhone 14 (or a cheaper, not-as-fully-featured version of the iPhone 14 Pro Max). It's got a 6.7-inch screen and a bigger battery than the 6.1-inch iPhone 14, but otherwise, features are the same.

iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max: Easily the biggest surprise of the day is the fact that iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max aren't getting the rumored $100 price increase. Instead, they'll cost $999 (AU$1,749) and $1,099 (AU$1,899), respectively. That's very impressive, considering the 4-nanometer A16 Bionic chipset that powers both phones and significant camera improvements, including a 48MP main shooter. The notch is gone, too, replaced by a cutout named Dynamic Island that incorporates animations and notifications.

Apple Watch 8: Evolution not revolution is truly the aim with this watch, which starts at $399 (AU$649) for the GPS-only version. Big changes include a new temperature sensor, geared toward helping women with reproductive planning, and a low-power mode that doubles the battery life.

Apple Watch SE (2022): Apple seems to be following the iPhone SE's naming structure by slapping a year rather than a number at the end of its less expensive entry-level device. The latest Apple Watch SE gets the crash detection and low-battery mode features found in the Apple Watch 8; its starting price also drops to $249 (AU$399).

Apple Watch Ultra: Apple is opting for a different name than the rumored Apple Watch 8 Pro moniker that had been suggested for its rugged smartwatch. But the other expected features are in place, from a 49mm size to twice the baseline battery life. Apple is promising more precise GPS tracking as well. Apple Watch Ultra starts at $799 (AU$1,299), which is less than the rumored $999 price we were expecting.

AirPods Pro 2: The $249 (AU$399) wireless earbuds get a new H2 chip along with a low-distortion audio driver and custom amplifier for improved sound. You'll be able to use the front camera on your iPhone to create a customized spatial audio profile, while other features like active noise cancellation have been improved. Battery life is now 6 hours of playback.

So basically nothing. Bare minimum on battery life improvement on the airpods pro 2.

I can't think of words to describe how stupid the "dynamic island" is. Just leave it as non blacked-out.

EDIT:

Went through reddit.com/r/apple, insane that it's near impossible to find negative comments on the new feature, general trend in that thread is happy about it or "don't care, don't mind the notch". Sad how used to it the target audience has gotten, notches annoy me, punch out is substantially better but still not that great (for e.g. the one game I still play on my phone at times recently, I black out the top bar).

Last edited:

Spizz

The usual incremental improvements.

The SOS feature is interesting but of no use here.
The way they dealt with the notch is interesting visual trickery but still not interested.

I reckon that is pretty spectacular, but not enough to want to pay twice the price of the regular 14 for the feature. Base model still does me and I'm still happy with my 13.

How they have implemented the AOD display on the pro is also interesting. Never saw the point of AOD myself, but the power down aspect is clever.

Spizz

So basically nothing. Bare minimum on battery life improvement on the airpods pro 2.

I can't think of words to describe how stupid the "dynamic island" is. Just leave it as non blacked-out.

EDIT:

Went through reddit.com/r/apple, insane that it's near impossible to find negative comments on the new feature, general trend in that thread is happy about it or "don't care, don't mind the notch". Sad how used to it the target audience has gotten, notches annoy me, punch out is substantially better but still not that great (for e.g. the one game I still play on my phone at times recently, I black out the top bar).

After a few years of pretty much every manufacturer of every phone failing to innovate, I reckon that Dynamic Island thing is quite something.

The notch has never bothered me though. It's got icons either side of it so it's dead space. I only ever notice it when someone mentions it.

Johnatan56

After a few years of pretty much every manufacturer of every phone failing to innovate, I reckon that Dynamic Island thing is quite something.

The notch has never bothered me though. It's got icons either side of it so it's dead space. I only ever notice it when someone mentions it.
Or you do anything that is full screen, guess you don't look at any video on your phone.

Spizz

Or you do anything that is full screen, guess you don't look at any video on your phone.

I do occasionally watch some series when travelling etc, and Netflix and Prime both have black strips at either end so you don't see the notch.