Apple Event 2021

biometrics

Today 7pm SA time.

Johnatan56

Wow, just tuned in to the new iPad mini, and they're like "strongest ever", obviously, then brag about aluminum being 100% recycled, well obviously because it's cheaper to use recycled one (5% of energy use), something like 75% of all aluminum mined is still in use.

Watch now has fall detection for cycling, that took a while.

New iPad Mini has side mounted TouchID, a lot of people didn’t think Apple would ever do that.

It's good, but I need to figure out when it's time to upgrade the old one how to get my gran used to it. /sigh.

New Watch largest and best display ever, obviously, stop with the ever nonsense. Hate the way they market stuff. That new display is BS, that's Samsung's new OLED, the way it curves is new version, and I would be super worried because that looks like I'll knock it on the wall and break it.

"Best experience of any apple watch" I wonder why you'd make a new watch worse, I hate this nonsense.

"Same, great 18 hour battery life" garbage battery life, 45 minutes to 80% charging is "30% faster", that's still not great.

And again bragging watch is aluminum recycled and battery as well, both are cheaper that way, they're not doing it for environment, hate the marketing.

Last edited:

biometrics

The only thing I wanted was Fitness+ and that’s not happening. Wonder how hard it is to gippo it? I want to get fit once my diet is done in a few weeks.

43A4E4E9-9F3B-4A08-8493-6F6CA0C1AB28.jpeg

biometrics

Though my iPad Mini 4 is a bit slow it still works fine for for the purpose I have it for, living next to me bed for browsing and movies.

Johnatan56

Underwhelming. Nothing convinces me to upgrade any of my devices. No AR.
You won't see anything proper AR for Apple before 2023, probs 2024/2025.

By proper AR I mean glasses or something like that.

Proper AR hardware is basically the Quest 2 now, and that isn't that great (those camera sensors don't do color, but supposedly they're working on some algorithms to bring it in), and display wise most still have issues with very small field of view, low refresh rate and battery life, Apple is dependent on LG/Samsung to bring that out and then Apple can implement, LG has some transparent displays now but they're first iteration last year so they still need to figure out how to scale that down.

In regards to AR in phones and tablets, that's mostly already there, what are you actually looking for?

Also Apple will not be first for AR, it will be Facebook probably with Google second, and maybe MS first but MS will be business and not consumer (E.g. holo lens). It's one of those cases where Apple can use their SoC lead that whatever the competitors bring out, it doesn't matter, and then also integrate into devices, so let the others test it first and get legislation etc. sorted.

biometrics

You won't see anything proper AR for Apple before 2023, probs 2024/2025.

By proper AR I mean glasses or something like that.

Proper AR hardware is basically the Quest 2 now, and that isn't that great (those camera sensors don't do color, but supposedly they're working on some algorithms to bring it in), and display wise most still have issues with very small field of view, low refresh rate and battery life, Apple is dependent on LG/Samsung to bring that out and then Apple can implement, LG has some transparent displays now but they're first iteration last year so they still need to figure out how to scale that down.

In regards to AR in phones and tablets, that's mostly already there, what are you actually looking for?
Something like Hololens but better.