Anyone have any advice for buying used laptops?

Y2K

Over three years lifespan of each, is that bad? Both i3s.
Depending on what you do with them, laptops usually last about 3 years, I've had my desktop since 2016 i7 4790, replaced 2 motherboards due to my own stupidity.
But overall It's still going strong, I would very much like to upgrade once I complete Uni.

Y2K

Bad
I use my MacAir every day, bought it brand new in 2012
Still has the original charger
You cannot compare Apple tech to entry level laptops running Windoze. The combination of a small product range where each piece of hardware is selected for a specific reason and the software is built around that is the main reason a lot of people choose Mac over anything else.

Johnatan56

No manners whatsoever.
Little cunt
I have no manners when you're the person who started with a sweeping negative generalization, then got touchy when I made an obviously exaggerated sweeping negative generalization about your generation to prove a point and then you proceeded to start swearing at people?

I'm sorry that you have utterly no class, then blame it on my lack of manners for your failure, but I guess that's why you ended up at the bottle.

Blantyre

My other laptops where in i3's in the 6k-7k range. I used to think this was a lot of money but after watching videos on YouTube, I've gathered that they are cheaper models and I'm not the only one who has had issues with them (off course I'm not excusing my negligence because I am careless).

I got my laptop new now. I got a second hand of a more expensive model. It's going well now and I'll see what I will do with my other one. It still works but is unpleasant to use.

It's not proving easy to find a dead shell of the same one. Its just not worth it to buy a new shell for it now but I guess another option is to make it a desktop and give it to a family/friend when someone needs one. It's speed is still decent actually.

Papa Smurf

I have no manners when you're the person who started with a sweeping negative generalization, then got touchy when I made an obviously exaggerated sweeping negative generalization about your generation to prove a point and then you proceeded to start swearing at people?

I'm sorry that you have utterly no class, then blame it on my lack of manners for your failure, but I guess that's why you ended up at the bottle.
Will you kids please stop breaking your laptops? Thank You

Johnatan56

Will you kids please stop breaking your laptops? Thank You
Reading with comprehension is taught in primary, guess you were sent to the mines when you were young to help your family to survive, so never mastered it.
I have never swapped a hinge, sorry, only hinge in my family ever broken was for a cheap MSI laptop that was already 7/8 years old, personally have never broken one, and among friends it was always bad enough a drop that the entire housing was broken if the hinge broke.

You should properly look at how the device is assembled before purchase.

Blantyre

I got the laptop. It is perfect now. It has actually been lasting full load-shedding cycles. I just need to take better care of this one.

I'll be honest, with my previous ones, I used to even leave them underneath the bed. It's bad as I saw the previous one was full of dust when I opened it.

biometrics

I got the laptop. It is perfect now. It has actually been lasting full load-shedding cycles. I just need to take better care of this one.

I'll be honest, with my previous ones, I used to even leave them underneath the bed. It's bad as I saw the previous one was full of dust when I opened it.
Post a pic.

And never leave anything that sucks air on the ground.

Düber

This is the old machine, it works but as you can see, the hinge is completely gone.

It still works but is there any inexpensive fix to make it function somewhat normally again?

View attachment 26322
Looking at this poor laptop, I think you need something like this...