Anyone have any advice for buying used laptops?

biometrics

Over three years lifespan of each, is that bad? Both i3s.
My Lenovo Thinkpad X230 is from 2012. It’s a nice machine though, i7, 16GB RAM and a 500GB SSD. Still going string. Thinkpads are made to last. Consider a used or refurb model, you won’t regret it.

Reactions: Y2K

Blantyre

Consider a used or refurb model, you won’t regret it.

I won the bid for the one I posted above, I paid just over 8k.

I did see some ThinkPads within my price range but was just concerned because after googling their models, they were from the early 2010s.

Blantyre

I have never swapped a hinge, sorry, only hinge I my family ever broken was for a cheap MSI laptop that was already 7/8 years old, personally have never broken one, and among friends it was always bad enough a drop that the entire housing was broken if the hinge broke.

Sure, how much would you say that the laptop I got sells for new? A quick search tells me 15-20k, possibly 25k.

Lara

I won the bid for the one I posted above, I paid just over 8k.

I did see some ThinkPads within my price range but was just concerned because after googling their models, they were from the early 2010s.
Does the site you bought from have a return policy? Buying used laptops is quite risky. :oops:

Blantyre

BTW, laptop was nice but I had to send it back as for some reason the sound level distorted when I picked it up or moved it but worked fine when still (it may have been a loose sound-card speaker wiring? , I do move around a lot so it would have become really annoying. I tried with headphones and the issue did not happen which means that it was probably a hardware issue.

I'm hoping the seller can fix this and re-send.

Unfortunately, I have to bear with using my messed up PC now for a few days, it has gotten worse now as both hinges have now given in. I have to put something behind the screen to hold it upright and I just hope the screen can last the next few days.

Blantyre

Lol. That's sad dude.
Yes, probably not worth repairing now. The PC body is quite bad as well.

I'll retire it for spares when I get a new one but it is actually still pretty fast for basic tasks so perhaps I'll try and shop around for a dead one.

Blantyre

I think I will try to stick to refurb PC's going forward, obviously only from reliable sellers though. I don't really need any advanced specs and will also save cash.

I'll try to keep my next one for a few years.

Currently I'm averaging about just over three years per laptop with about 3-4 chargers on each one.

biometrics

I think I will try to stick to refurb PC's going forward, obviously only from reliable sellers though. I don't really need any advanced specs and will also save cash.

Currently I'm averaging about just over three years per laptop with about 3-4 chargers on each one.
That's crazy. Get a Lenovo Thinkpad refurb/used will last ten years.

Papa Smurf

Not been funny here but you clearly should never ever ever own another laptop again
You Millenials break everything
I'm not having a go at you, it's just that all your peoples are total idiots and cannot look after anything
True story

And did you know the oldest Millenials are all turning 40 this year? Eina. Sad world we live in I tell you

Computer Laptop Security Wrapped Bubble Wrap Stock Photo (Edit Now)  536715397

Johnatan56

That's crazy. Get a Lenovo Thinkpad refurb/used will last ten years.
For something with a graphics card/used as a gaming device, a 10 yo laptop is pretty useless outside of web browsing/movies, and even then usually a bad 768p screen with terrible battery life.
Not been funny here but you clearly should never ever ever own another laptop again
I'm not having a go at you, it's just that all your peoples are total idiots and cannot look after anything
True story

And did you know the oldest Millenials are all turning 40 this year? Eina. Sad world we live in I tell you

Just go away with that stupid generalization, you're talking 1980-1996 birth, so near 2bn people. I've yet to break a laptop.

New generation has less alcoholics than yours does, now what?

Papa Smurf

For something with a graphics card/used as a gaming device, a 10 yo laptop is pretty useless outside of web browsing/movies, and even then usually a bad 768p screen with terrible battery life.

Just go away with that stupid generalization, you're talking 1980-1996 birth, so near 2bn people. I've yet to break a laptop.

New generation has less alcoholics than yours does, now what?
1981 onwards asshole

Blantyre

True story

I need it for work and I may have to move around so a desktop is not ideal.

Unfortunately my company does not loan laptops.

Papa Smurf

I need it for work and I may have to move around so a desktop is not ideal.

Unfortunately my company does not loan laptops.
Ive heard the latest now days is using your cellphone

You get docking stations that you plug this into at work or home or whever that gives you external screen, keyboard, mouse, more USB ports etc

biometrics

Ive heard the latest now days is using your cellphone

You get docking stations that you plug this into at work or home or whever that gives you external screen, keyboard, mouse, more USB ports etc
One of our members, @gfmalan, has one: