Anyone have any advice for buying used laptops?

Blantyre

I'm currently using a HP Bs1xx, the laptop has been in a bad condition for a while and I just saw that the hinge broke on one side today.

The laptop was bought new and is probably not worth repairing now, I may as well buy my next one. I'm looking at getting something used, my work will not give me a laptop so I may as well buy one because the one I'm currently using will probably not last long.

I'm a bit of a rough user and this is why I'm looking for something used. I've had two laptops in the last seven years and both ended up falling apart.

I need something for work, I'm quite an extensive user and maybe will play a game or two. I do need something with good battery life as my job will entail travel from time to time, working during load shedding and working at random places.

I basically need something which I can use for typing, streaming and browsing which is obviously fast. I've seen some decent deals on Radical Refurbs but my only concern is that after researching their models which are cheaper, they seem to be older models.

I'm looking at i5 to i7 and my budget is between 3k-7k. Is it possible to get something decent within this range?

I've seen some good deals on Ebay as well, are there any big challenges that come with buying from overseas? Not too concerned about repairs but more administrative issues.

Edit: Also, my laptop hinge seems to be worsened now to the extent that I can't close it.

Is there anything I can do to ease the situation? The laptop works but to compound the situation, the plastic casing has damages and some screws are missing.

Last edited:

biometrics

Not an i5 and not a Thinkpad but cheap:

Blantyre

I just bid 8k on a i7 gaming pc with GTX and user said it lasts up to four hours with battery. Lets see if I win.

Johnatan56

Does anyone have experience with these guys? They seem to have some good deals.

Not picking their name up on MyBB or carbonite, would stay away for now.

Only details: creationdate : 2021/02/10 15:34:13

On their site facebook, pinterest and twitter are still default /username
Google maps only has 2017 photos so can't even see if branding.
CIPC has no registration.
1621765294730.png

Would avoid.

Their FB page is a few months old: https://www.facebook.com/Laptop4u-102087875304207/ and saying leading supplier is already a lie, that just screams scam or very bad start-up you don't want anything to do with.
I just bid 8k on a i7 gaming pc with GTX and user said it lasts up to four hours with battery. Lets see if I win.
Name the laptop, can check. Needs to be post 9th gen Intel for that battery life claim to be true usually, if e.g. 4720HQ + 960M it's a max of about 3 hours when it was new.

Thought you were in journalism, why you not investigate yourself. :p

Blantyre

Not picking their name up on MyBB or carbonite, would stay away for now.

Only details: creationdate : 2021/02/10 15:34:13

On their site facebook, pinterest and twitter are still default /username
Google maps only has 2017 photos so can't even see if branding.
CIPC has no registration.
View attachment 25854

Would avoid.

Their FB page is a few months old: https://www.facebook.com/Laptop4u-102087875304207/ and saying leading supplier is already a lie, that just screams scam or very bad start-up you don't want anything to do with.

Name the laptop, can check. Needs to be post 9th gen Intel for that battery life claim to be true usually, if e.g. 4720HQ + 960M it's a max of about 3 hours when it was new.

Thought you were in journalism, why you not investigate yourself. :p

Dell Inspiron 7559​

Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz​

Johnatan56

Dell Inspiron 7559​

Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz​

Well the price sounds about right, note you're not going to playing most modern games on that since GTX960M (4GB), that card is bandwidth starved.
If it was the 950M model, you should not have purchased it.

Do plug in an external mouse, that touch pad is meh at best, would also get an external keyboard if ever have to type more, if I remember correctly that model even had key wobble which is strange for a short travel membrane, age would not have improved that.

Googling it, you should be getting close to 4 hours when brand new, that thing is at least 4 years old though, so would probably be 2 hours battery life and then 1.5 hours if not set into battery saver.

Blantyre

You need to take better care of your stuff.

I don't see the point in you buying another machine if it's just going to end up in pieces. Speaks volumes when people don't look after things they are given.

I had my other one Lenovo G50 from October 2014-April 2018 and this one since April 2018 (it still runs though in a bad condition).

Yes, I need to improve.

Blantyre

Well the price sounds about right, note you're not going to playing most modern games on that since GTX960M (4GB), that card is bandwidth starved.
If it was the 950M model, you should not have purchased it.

Do plug in an external mouse, that touch pad is meh at best, would also get an external keyboard if ever have to type more, if I remember correctly that model even had key wobble which is strange for a short travel membrane, age would not have improved that.

Googling it, you should be getting close to 4 hours when brand new, that thing is at least 4 years old though, so would probably be 2 hours battery life and then 1.5 hours if not set into battery saver.

I see that you have a good knowledge of laptops. Do you know if it will be possible or easy to replace the hinge of the laptop I'm currently using?

I've just avoided closing it much over the last two days but it looks awkward and make cracking noises if I do. It's the HP I5 range and I've uploaded a photo as well.

Johnatan56

I see that you have a good knowledge of laptops. Do you know if it will be possible or easy to replace the hinge of the laptop I'm currently using?

I've just avoided closing it much over the last two days but it looks awkward and make cracking noises if I do. It's the HP I5 range and I've uploaded a photo as well.
I have never swapped a hinge, sorry, only hinge I my family ever broken was for a cheap MSI laptop that was already 7/8 years old, personally have never broken one, and among friends it was always bad enough a drop that the entire housing was broken if the hinge broke.

You should properly look at how the device is assembled before purchase.

Johnatan56