Anybody else using Linux??

Bryn

In terms of app support, most major apps have become cross platform, games aren't there yet (though quite a few are actually possible using e.g. proton, though games with EAC aren't, so PUBG, Apex, etc., but that shows more how terrible EAC is since it sucks at stopping cheating).

I'm expecting more and more apps and games to have Linux support though, C# .Net WPF is cross-platform (well mostly, still a few bugs, but for 95% of use-cases will be fine), Electron as well, so normal apps are all fine, and games will (are) following suite as game engines are making it easier.

Also helps that WSLv2 is getting proper Linux GUI support, so actually expecting that to help with testing as it should make automated testing easier for devs. I do wonder if we will get to the point where some games will use WSL instead of Windows to run, since easier to just write a single Linux app instead, and if performance/user experience is comparable, why not? Linux has things going for it like it's better at reading small files, and maybe we'll see some interesting things like a WSL image specifically for a game that will allow optimized kernels for those games/game engines.

We're in for an interesting time as even Microsoft is moving to software as a service.
For the majority of working people, I think Linux will always be way out of reach.
  • No MS Office apps
  • No Creative Cloud
  • Google Drive requires paid third party solutions, which presents security concerns.
  • No great alternative to Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc. that I'm aware of. The Affinity apps are macOS and Windows only.
It is out of the question to just tell other organisations, or others within your own organisation, that you can't work with certain formats. And again, I just don't see a single advantage over rather using macOS. The quality of apps in the Mac ecosystem is exceptional - the first thing I noticed after switching from Windows.

Y2K

For the majority of working people, I think Linux will always be way out of reach.
  • No MS Office apps
  • No Creative Cloud
  • Google Drive requires paid third party solutions, which presents security concerns.
  • No great alternative to Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc. that I'm aware of. The Affinity apps are macOS and Windows only.
It is out of the question to just tell other organisations, or others within your own organisation, that you can't work with certain formats. And again, I just don't see a single advantage over rather using macOS. The quality of apps in the Mac ecosystem is exceptional - the first thing I noticed after switching from Windows.
I do agree with some of the points you've made, but I have to point out that Microsoft Office is available via the web (Not the best but its something).

MacOs is nice to have, honestly if your work like most other places of employment these days supply you with a computer its most likely going to be a Mac especially if you work in a industry that benefits from it like software, marketing or content creation.

Düber

I use Mint on my PCs and Ubuntu, Armbian and Raspbian on Rpi's and the Opi's.
It is obviously my opinion but I find Windows clumsy and rather slow.

The other benefit is when somebody has a computer problem I "have to" explain to them that I have been using Linux for a number of years now so I am out of touch with Windows and they should perhaps rather Google their issue.

Bryn

I use Mint on my PCs and Ubuntu, Armbian and Raspbian on Rpi's and the Opi's.
It is obviously my opinion but I find Windows clumsy and rather slow.

The other benefit is when somebody has a computer problem I "have to" explain to them that I have been using Linux for a number of years now so I am out of touch with Windows and they should perhaps rather Google their issue.
I'm looking forward to doing the same thing once I've been a Mac user for a bit longer.

Switching to Mac was a jarring change from Windows, but once you're used to the gestures and shortcuts, Windows becomes more and more frustrating to use when switching back. macOS is amazing as a work/productivity platform.

For me, Linux has neither of the strengths of Windows or Mac. Kind of the worst of both worlds.

Y2K

I'm looking forward to doing the same thing once I've been a Mac user for a bit longer.

Switching to Mac was a jarring change from Windows, but once you're used to the gestures and shortcuts, Windows becomes more and more frustrating to use when switching back. macOS is amazing as a work/productivity platform.

For me, Linux has neither of the strengths of Windows or Mac. Kind of the worst of both worlds.
Please explain? MacOS cannot be consistently installed and run on anything except a Mac. I wouldn't want to be reliant on a system with a corporation like Apple, they have no consideration for their end users, they decide everything, the only thing you can do is comply or move to Windows/Linux and have to relearn things again.

Bryn

Please explain? MacOS cannot be consistently installed and run on anything except a Mac. I wouldn't want to be reliant on a system with a corporation like Apple, they have no consideration for their end users, they decide everything, the only thing you can do is comply or move to Windows/Linux and have to relearn things again.
For a platform as nice to use as macOS, it seems unlikely that such a state was arrived at by not considering the needs of their users. And where they fall short, like with window snapping or mouse calibration, it only takes a minute to find and install an app to fix the issue. A very large portion of the world's dev community are running on Macs - the quality and quantity of apps is extraordinary.

My Setapp subscription is one of my favourite things about being a Mac user. There is a premium app available for almost anything you can think of, for $10 pm.

Reactions: Y2K

Johnatan56

For a platform as nice to use as macOS, it seems unlikely that such a state was arrived at by not considering the needs of their users. And where they fall short, like with window snapping or mouse calibration, it only takes a minute to find and install an app to fix the issue.
But you just argued against third party?

And most install Libre Office, not an issue. Office in browser is also good, and a lot of students use Google's Suite in-browser now.
A very large portion of the world's dev community are running on Macs - the quality and quantity of apps is extraordinary.
No they don't. A vast majority run on Windows, then Linux, then MacOS.
Anyone who needs to dev for Apple's ecosystem usually runs MacOS, most devs I know that have a Macbook have it because it's the better hardware option given by the company (for some reason many large corporates give pretty bad hardware) and then they put Linux on it.
My Setapp subscription is one of my favourite things about being a Mac user. There is a premium app available for almost anything you can think of, for $10 pm.
That's a weird argument, not much paid on my machine, Jetbrains license, rest "just works" or is an open source thing from e.g. MS themselves.

Bryn

But you just argued against third party?

And most install Libre Office, not an issue. Office in browser is also good, and a lot of students use Google's Suite in-browser now.

No they don't. A vast majority run on Windows, then Linux, then MacOS.
Anyone who needs to dev for Apple's ecosystem usually runs MacOS, most devs I know that have a Macbook have it because it's the better hardware option given by the company (for some reason many large corporates give pretty bad hardware) and then they put Linux on it.

That's a weird argument, not much paid on my machine, Jetbrains license, rest "just works" or is an open source thing from e.g. MS themselves.

I've been making the opposite case though, that access to quality apps is one of the defining features of a good OS. Like MS Office, Creative Cloud, any tweaks you need to get things exactly as you like them etc. With Windows you're obviously well covered, but I have found a noticeable improvement in the quality of most Mac apps. The increased propensity of users to spend money must presumably drive a lot of devs to the platform. With Mac, apps (especially smaller apps) aren't just functional, they tend to be functional and beautifully made. It's just a bloody joy to use great apps all day every day.

I can only speak for web developers, and even then only for the circles I run in, but I'd say 80+% of the devs I know and interact with are all running Macs. Until quite recently I was the odd one out, always being chided to get with the better ecosystem.

There is nothing like Alfred for Windows. Or Transmit 5. Or the cool little gizmos I have running in the menu bar, like my Numi calculator with its open-ended, type-anything approach, or the colour picker I use constantly, or Alfred etc.

Having been a Mac doubter my whole life, it only took a few days to dawn on me what an idiot I've been to have only made the switch now.

Johnatan56

With Windows you're obviously well covered, but I have found a noticeable improvement in the quality of most Mac apps
How long is a piece of string? There is no noticeable quality difference for most apps.
The biggest ones are always issues with Linux in terms of e.g. Google Drive, and that's sad, Google is just terrible at software support tbh.
Btw, on MacOS as well, check out InSync. We'll maybe see Google improve their client soon, Windows they moved everyone over to the "new" enterprise client.
The increased propensity of users to spend money must presumably drive a lot of devs to the platform. With Mac, apps (especially smaller apps) aren't just functional, they tend to be functional and beautifully made.
The sheer number of Windows users makes that argument mute.
Except you're arguing against Linux in this case with GUI, and in regards to e.g. most Electron apps, no real difference, all running the same Chromium.

You're also going to be arguing against Chromebook and Android TV support, which is gaining huge traction, so no, that's not right, all depends on target market.
I can only speak for web developers, and even then only for the circles I run in, but I'd say 80+% of the devs I know and interact with are all running Macs.
Yes, I was going to mention web devs, then decided against it. Lots of front-end somehow ties in to front-end and looks, so higher propensity for the devs (and the company) to want to look good, so they get a MacBook, same as iPhone, it's a status thing.

And as said, companies often give bad hardware as options, but throw in a MacBook, which is better just due to being a completely different price bracket.

Most people don't really care about their hardware, they care about status, and they know the MacBook name, so they will go with it.
There is nothing like Alfred for Windows
Search is integrated into windows, but your more feature parity one would be Power Toys run: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/run or you can use ueli, also open source.
And then AHK.
Media player is built into Windows with the overlay, e.g. Spotify integrates with it.
Clipboard is built into Windows, has pinning, sync, etc., still want them to add that I can have a larger RAM size for it, but yeah, search is coming as well AFAIK. But you're installing external tools, there are quite a few of them that add search, snippets, etc., I don't use as all my snippet stuff is in IDE and I use that and emmet instead.

If comparing to Linux, the dash is built in for most distros.
Or Transmit 5
You're joking, right? Cyberduck has been around for a lot longer, and there are other, prettier looking alternatives.
Numi calculator
That looks like someone stole soulver tbh, soulver is great. This would be Windows then: https://github.com/bbodi/notecalc3
There were Windows store app stuff that also did it, calculator pad or something like that, can't remember, was years ago. Usually you can just type that into windows search and let bing handle it.

Linux I know of galculator, I used it years and years ago, quick google told me it's not maintained anymore though. You're looking for "paper mode" in most calculators.
colour picker I use constantly
Again, power toys: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/color-picker
Having been a Mac doubter my whole life, it only took a few days to dawn on me what an idiot I've been to have only made the switch now.
Seems more like you just didn't actually look and stayed with the same flow, it took moving OS to find the new stuff.
That's the same for most of us, we use something in a certain way and we won't change it until it's forced.

Last edited:

Y2K

I've been making the opposite case though, that access to quality apps is one of the defining features of a good OS. Like MS Office, Creative Cloud, any tweaks you need to get things exactly as you like them etc. With Windows you're obviously well covered, but I have found a noticeable improvement in the quality of most Mac apps. The increased propensity of users to spend money must presumably drive a lot of devs to the platform. With Mac, apps (especially smaller apps) aren't just functional, they tend to be functional and beautifully made. It's just a bloody joy to use great apps all day every day.

I can only speak for web developers, and even then only for the circles I run in, but I'd say 80+% of the devs I know and interact with are all running Macs. Until quite recently I was the odd one out, always being chided to get with the better ecosystem.

There is nothing like Alfred for Windows. Or Transmit 5. Or the cool little gizmos I have running in the menu bar, like my Numi calculator with its open-ended, type-anything approach, or the colour picker I use constantly, or Alfred etc.

To be honest I don't have a problem with MacOS, I have a problem with the people that run the corporations. The entire industry is a problem, manufacturers fighting right to repair, devices limited by minimal updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCP

Bryn

How long is a piece of string? There is no noticeable quality difference for most apps.
The biggest ones are always issues with Linux in terms of e.g. Google Drive, and that's sad, Google is just terrible at software support tbh.
Btw, on MacOS as well, check out InSync. We'll maybe see Google improve their client soon, Windows they moved everyone over to the "new" enterprise client.

The sheer number of Windows users makes that argument mute.
Except you're arguing against Linux in this case with GUI, and in regards to e.g. most Electron apps, no real difference, all running the same Chromium.

You're also going to be arguing against Chromebook and Android TV support, which is gaining huge traction, so no, that's not right, all depends on target market.

Yes, I was going to mention web devs, then decided against it. Lots of front-end somehow ties in to front-end and looks, so higher propensity for the devs (and the company) to want to look good, so they get a MacBook, same as iPhone, it's a status thing.

And as said, companies often give bad hardware as options, but throw in a MacBook, which is better just due to being a completely different price bracket.

Most people don't really care about their hardware, they care about status, and they know the MacBook name, so they will go with it.

Search is integrated into windows, but your more feature parity one would be Power Toys run: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/run or you can use ueli, also open source.
And then AHK.
Media player is built into Windows with the overlay, e.g. Spotify integrates with it.
Clipboard is built into Windows, has pinning, sync, etc., still want them to add that I can have a larger RAM size for it, but yeah, search is coming as well AFAIK. But you're installing external tools, there are quite a few of them that add search, snippets, etc., I don't use as all my snippet stuff is in IDE and I use that and emmet instead.

If comparing to Linux, the dash is built in for most distros.

You're joking, right? Cyberduck has been around for a lot longer, and there are other, prettier looking alternatives.

That looks like someone stole soulver tbh, soulver is great. This would be Windows then: https://github.com/bbodi/notecalc3
There were Windows store app stuff that also did it, calculator pad or something like that, can't remember, was years ago. Usually you can just type that into windows search and let bing handle it.

Linux I know of galculator, I used it years and years ago, quick google told me it's not maintained anymore though. You're looking for "paper mode" in most calculators.

Again, power toys: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/color-picker

Seems more like you just didn't actually look and stayed with the same flow, it took moving OS to find the new stuff.
That's the same for most of us, we use something in a certain way and we won't change it until it's forced.
I disagree about the difference in app quality. But you're right that the quantity of users and apps makes sweeping conclusions impossible.

InSync or any other third party Google Drive solution isn't necessary for macOS. Many M1 Macs had serious problems until the last month with G/Drive, but those have been sorted out. And not just sorted, but it's an amazing integration. Uses <70MB of memory compared to Dropbox with 800+MB. And it seems to be faster than on Windows. I always hated how crap Google Drive was at browsing directories that haven't been accessed in a while. No such issues on Mac.

Not sure what the Android TV and Chromebook stuff is about. I don't dislike either platform, but it's a well-established fact that iOS users spend more money than Android ones, and I'd expect that to apply to Mac vs. Windows users too.

Using a Mac as a web developer isn't just about vanity. It's so much nicer having access to all mainstream web browsers natively without needing to use Browser Stack or Lambda Test to check your pages. And not that Putty is a pain in the ass for SSH, but it's nice to not need it.

I'm not referring to basic search. Mac has Spotlight, which is fairly good, and I know that Windows has a search function. Alfred goes miles beyond anything I've seen on Windows. It's ridiculously cool. And that includes Power Toys' search bar.

Cyberduck doesn't come within an interstellar distance of Transmit 5 imo. But people have different needs for FTP I guess.

This is the first I'm hearing of Power Toys. I don't think I'd have gotten much use out of it beyond the colour picker, which does look nice.

Soulver looks awesome! Not sure it's worth $30 when I already have the nearly identical Numi, but I like that Soulver can work with dates in a similar fashion to Wolfram Alpha. E.g 14 May 2021 + 6 weeks.

I've always had an interest in discovering new apps on Windows, insofar as it's not some Github project or janky-looking freeware project. This is why I say that Mac is in its own league with the availability and quality of apps for almost anything. They're easy to find, they look amazing, they're usually cheap etc. I've never experienced that on Windows. I like this newfound balance of aesthetics and functionality than I never felt Windows had. I get that that's not important to you - each to their own.

To be honest I don't have a problem with MacOS, I have a problem with the people that run the corporations. The entire industry is a problem, manufacturers fighting right to repair, devices limited by minimal updates.
Sure, no denying that. Apple has made more missteps than most. Their recent M1 product launches were a huge departure for Apple in the value they were providing for entry-level products.

Johnatan56

Not sure what the Android TV and Chromebook stuff is about. I don't dislike either platform, but it's a well-established fact that iOS users spend more money than Android ones, and I'd expect that to apply to Mac vs. Windows users too.
I'm guessing you read counterpoint's article on it?
There's a flaw with that one, most Android flagships are sold at a higher price and then drop after a month or two, counterpoint then excludes those phones that drop after launch price, so the premium market there is a bit "broken" in terms of stats.

There are just way more android phones, so just user base size will eventually make it win, but US has a very large Apple share, which is why they're getting so many apps there. Most apps are still on Android as well, and lots that can't go on the iStore can easily be side loaded, so have quite a few that wouldn't meet iStore guidelines (e.g. compass usage if screen is off for VR hip tracking).

But that's not Mac, that's mobile.

If you argue that Windows vs MacOS, that's definitely wrong, just due to the 6:1 or higher ratio of Windows machines vs MacOS, and anyone that wants to game is pretty much on a Windows device, and 20-30s is probably the highest spending market share (in terms of repeat purchase).

Using a Mac as a web developer isn't just about vanity. It's so much nicer having access to all mainstream web browsers natively without needing to use Browser Stack or Lambda Test to check your pages. Not that Putty is a pain in the ass, but it's nice to not need it.
Issue there is that Chrome/FF on MacOS is not the same as on a Windows device, and they don't behave the same for everything, you'll still need to test on a Windows machine, and usually your primary target market is on a Windows device, so that argument is baseless.
I'm not referring to basic search. Mac has Spotlight, which is fairly good, and I know that Windows has a search function. Alfred goes miles beyond anything I've seen on Windows. It's ridiculously cool. And that includes Power Toys' search bar.
Doubtful.
This is the first I'm hearing of Power Toys. I don't think I'd have gotten much use out of it beyond the colour picker, which does look nice.
So you don't even know power toys and say it's worse than Alfred? That's very strange.
I've always had an interest in discovering new apps on Windows, insofar as it's not some Github project or janky-looking freeware project
That's like 99% of projects, and I always look at making sure there's a Github project that's well liked since that usually means that the app ends up being good quality. I think you and I have very different views of open source software.
They're usually cheap etc.
So cheap is better than free? Strange.
I like this newfound balance of aesthetics and functionality
Again, depends on the app, and for most users, that's not applicable.
Sure, no denying that. Apple has made more missteps than most. Their recent M1 product launches were a huge departure for Apple in the value they were providing for entry-level products.
Apple has never been a value for entry-level products? That's not their target, never has been, they basically want you to spend as much as they can get away with, and part of that is the lack of repairability, to keep getting you to buy a new device. For example the display cable that was too short that at one point would disconnect/break if you open your laptop often enough (usually about 1.5-2y after purchase, so just after warranty ends), or the GPU contact issue where they just stuck a pad on it so it gets pressed down by the case, or the CPU 1V and display 12V rails being right next to each other (this issue has been there since the 2015 Macbook I think, still in current AFAIK, not M1), butterfly switches, etc.

Then with the M1, lack of extra RAM (8GB is quite little), limited storage unless upsell, if anything on that board dies, the entire thing needs to be replaced, etc.

Apple is a scummy company, but the good thing is that they do at times help advance the industry, they're not afraid to throw money at something that might only give returns years down the line (the TSMC investment, which is why they have so much of the fab capacity, they're the ones that bankrolled it).

Bryn

I'm guessing you read counterpoint's article on it?
There's a flaw with that one, most Android flagships are sold at a higher price and then drop after a month or two, counterpoint then excludes those phones that drop after launch price, so the premium market there is a bit "broken" in terms of stats.

There are just way more android phones, so just user base size will eventually make it win, but US has a very large Apple share, which is why they're getting so many apps there. Most apps are still on Android as well, and lots that can't go on the iStore can easily be side loaded, so have quite a few that wouldn't meet iStore guidelines (e.g. compass usage if screen is off for VR hip tracking).

But that's not Mac, that's mobile.

If you argue that Windows vs MacOS, that's definitely wrong, just due to the 6:1 or higher ratio of Windows machines vs MacOS, and anyone that wants to game is pretty much on a Windows device, and 20-30s is probably the highest spending market share (in terms of repeat purchase).

Issue there is that Chrome/FF on MacOS is not the same as on a Windows device, and they don't behave the same for everything, you'll still need to test on a Windows machine, and usually your primary target market is on a Windows device, so that argument is baseless.

Doubtful.

So you don't even know power toys and say it's worse than Alfred? That's very strange.

That's like 99% of projects, and I always look at making sure there's a Github project that's well liked since that usually means that the app ends up being good quality. I think you and I have very different views of open source software.

So cheap is better than free? Strange.

Again, depends on the app, and for most users, that's not applicable.

Apple has never been a value for entry-level products? That's not their target, never has been, they basically want you to spend as much as they can get away with, and part of that is the lack of repairability, to keep getting you to buy a new device. For example the display cable that was too short that at one point would disconnect/break if you open your laptop often enough (usually about 1.5-2y after purchase, so just after warranty ends), or the GPU contact issue where they just stuck a pad on it so it gets pressed down by the case, or the CPU 1V and display 12V rails being right next to each other (this issue has been there since the 2015 Macbook I think, still in current AFAIK, not M1), butterfly switches, etc.

Then with the M1, lack of extra RAM (8GB is quite little), limited storage unless upsell, if anything on that board dies, the entire thing needs to be replaced, etc.

Apple is a scummy company, but the good thing is that they do at times help advance the industry, they're not afraid to throw money at something that might only give returns years down the line (the TSMC investment, which is why they have so much of the fab capacity, they're the ones that bankrolled it).

I'm an Android user, so you won't find me defending the locked down iPhone. It was just something I read recently from some FB group, that iOS users have a much higher propensity to spend money.

I can't remember the exact link, but a quick search finds similar articles:

According to the report, ‘State Of In-App Spending’, iOS users spend about 2.5 times more money. Nearly 71% of iOS users were also seen to be making at least one payment each month through their device. In contrast, just 4.6% of Android users made a payment every month.

iPhone also attracts a larger number of developers than Android, mostly due to the fact that iPhone users spend more money than Android users.

A more recent link:

Anyway, not something I particularly care about. Was just a half-hearted hypothesis.

PC game sales on Windows doesn't mean much to devs who don't make games.

I, and most web devs, still have to run through a checklist of devices with Lambda Test or similar before proceeding with a deployment. But I don't recall an occasion where there was a disparity between Chrome or FF on Mac and Chrome or FF on Windows. It's a fair point though - not checking is irresponsible. I have encountered a gazillion issues where Safari was not rendering as expected though.

I think we do have different approaches to open source and the developers we support. I put a lot of effort into sales and presentation with my partners and clients, and I expect the same from devs I buy from. Cheap is much better than free. I don't expect people to work for free. If they put a ton of effort into something, selling it for $10 or $30 or whatever should be a minimum requirement imo. I'd like to know that the dev is incentivised to keep up the development and maintenance of the product.

Have a proper look at Alfred. I haven't come across anything even close to that on Windows. And Alfred is the most common reason I'm given for switching to Mac. I had a look through the Power Toys documentation before commenting on it.

Considering the quantity of base models of the new M1 Macs being sold, I'd say Apple very much expected them to be the big movers. 8GB of memory with their new unified Apple Silicon chip seems very different to 8GB of memory in Windows to me. I used most of my 16GB memory in Windows with my typical workflow, and a similar workflow in macOS works perfectly fine without slowdowns and only very rare memory swapping with the 8GB of memory in my MacBook Air.

There's something very satisfying about the thought and technology that has gone into the M1 Macs. The CPU is so damn fast while being passively cooled and not getting hot. The memory is half of what I'd regard as a minimum but somehow works fine. The battery life is borderline supernatural. You're being too harsh on Apple imo. They could have found a new way to fleece people and yet the new base models across MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac Mini are phenomenal for most people's needs.

I deliberately chose the base model with the MBA, to hold things down until the new 16" MBP drops later this year. Then I'll give this away to someone in the family.

Johnatan56

@Bryn Not going to quote anything, but understand that App Store spending with context, Google does not force payment through its platform. The largest apps usually have a vested interest in running their own payment API, so Google will not get a cut from those, which will severely reduce the income there.

And ignorant app users for e.g. Spotify will pay via their iPhone, when on Android they will be pushed onto the site to get a subs there.

I just donate to open source /shrug. Means that if the app gets abandoned, it can be forked/picked up by others, and I often go through the code randomly and check out what frameworks are used, etc. and maybe pick something up with how the industry is progressing in places.

You're being too harsh on Apple imo. They could have found a new way to fleece people and yet the new base models across MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac Mini are phenomenal for most people's needs.
I think you're lacking in being critical. It's worse than what MS did with browser stuff, and yet they are not even receiving close to as much flak.
It's my device, I should be able to do with it what I want, including having the ability to repair it, not having artificial locks like replacing the camera means that it won't work as the specific component is serialized.

I think you don't actually know what Apple has done to the industry, I suggest you start reading up on the right to repair movement.

Apple Bricks Independently Repaired Phones​

In 2016, Apple confirmed that a software update had been quietly killing phones repaired outside of their "authorized" service network. Initially, the software giant defended "Error 53" as a security measure—and put the blame on independent repair shops and shoddy parts. Consumers, DIY hobbyists, and repair pros called out Apple for misrepresenting the facts. Apple apologized, admitted that Error 53 was a software mistake, and issued a software patch that fixed phones "bricked" by the error.

Apple reversed its position because consumers and repair professionals took a stand. It was a clear victory for the right to repair your stuff.

There’s still a lot of work left to do to ensure that independent repair shops have the parts, tools, information, and support they need to fix products. We’re going to continue to fight these battles publicly, in front of the Copyright Office, in front of lawmakers, and wherever else they need to be fought.

Last edited:

Bryn

@Bryn Not going to quote anything, but understand that App Store spending with context, Google does not force payment through its platform. The largest apps usually have a vested interest in running their own payment API, so Google will not get a cut from those, which will severely reduce the income there.

And ignorant app users for e.g. Spotify will pay via their iPhone, when on Android they will be pushed onto the site to get a subs there.

I just donate to open source /shrug. Means that if the app gets abandoned, it can be forked/picked up by others, and I often go through the code randomly and check out what frameworks are used, etc. and maybe pick something up with how the industry is progressing in places.

I think you're lacking in being critical. It's worse than what MS did with browser stuff, and yet they are not even receiving close to as much flak.
It's my device, I should be able to do with it what I want, including having the ability to repair it, not having artificial locks like replacing the camera means that it won't work as the specific component is serialized.

I think you don't actually know what Apple has done to the industry, I suggest you start reading up on the right to repair movement.
Fair enough, that's a pretty shitty thing to do. And again, I don't find the iPhone value proposition compelling enough to buy into yet. The last time I purchased an Apple product before my MacBook Air (and Magic Keyboard 2, Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Mouse 2) was the 80GB iPod.

Owning the M1 MBA has changed by stance considerably. Whatever failings are going on with Apple, they're doing a hell of a lot right. This machine is one of the best things I've ever bought. And the second the updated 16" MacBook Pro drops, I'm preordering it.

SauRoN

MacOS on the daily.

Amazon Linux otherwise with Ubuntu here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blantyre

I don't use it but as suggested by some members here, I did load it on a laptop from 2008 which had been lying at home for years. I loaded it, put in a new HD which I had from when I put an SD into my laptop and added 2gb of Ram to make it 3gb overall out of its maximum 4gb.

I ended up giving it to one of my Dad's admin staff. She only really needed something for basic emailing and word and the laptop was still fast enough for basic tasks after I did as was suggested.