Anybody else using Linux??

SauRoN

Linux is most of my day job so I do the sensible thing and run the best version of it on my daily driver which is MacOS.

My fiddle box currently has PopOS installed but haven’t really spent proper time with it.

Entire house runs on UnRAID though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Y2K

Y2K

Linux is most of my day job so I do the sensible thing and run the best version of it on my daily driver which is MacOS.

My fiddle box currently has PopOS installed but haven’t really spent proper time with it.

Entire house runs on UnRAID though.

While Mac has its own set of problems, I've found it to be a lot more forgiving and the confidence to know that 99% the software you want to run will just work without needing to jump through hoops.

Don't get me wrong I'm in love with the kernel but it's frustrating when the simplest things cannot be accomplished, not because it can't be done but rather because the user lacks the knowledge they may have attained over their life with a specific operating system.

Last edited:

SauRoN

While Mac has its own set of problems, I've found it to be a lot more forgiving and the confidence to know that 99% the software you want to run will just work without needing to jump through hoops.

Don't get me wrong I'm in love with the kernel but it's frustrating when the simplest things cannot be accomplished, not because it can't be done but rather because the user lacks the knowledge they may have attained over their life with a specific operating system.

Yup it’s exactly this. The general hardware and software support just makes life so much easier.

And since the M1 the performance is there too as well as crazy battery life.

It’s even comparatively cheaper now as the base model Air has all the bells and whistles and more performance than most normal people will ever need.

And then when I need to I just dip into Terminals and do what I need to do with my Dockers or connecting to remote systems and everything just works.

• Love

Y2K

Yup it’s exactly this. The general hardware and software support just makes life so much easier.

And since the M1 the performance is there too as well as crazy battery life.

It’s even comparatively cheaper now as the base model Air has all the bells and whistles and more performance than most normal people will ever need.

And then when I need to I just dip into Terminals and do what I need to do with my Dockers or connecting to remote systems and everything just works.

One day when I'm big I'll invest in a Mac. :unsure:

SauRoN

One day when I'm big I'll invest in a Mac. :unsure:

Thing is generally they last longer both physically and from a supper perspective.

Especially with the M1 being so far ahead now I see an easy 5-year lifespan in support and much longer for actual physical use maybe with a battery change in the middle.

iMac would last forever.

Y2K

Thing is generally they last longer both physically and from a supper perspective.

Especially with the M1 being so far ahead now I see an easy 5-year lifespan in support and much longer for actual physical use maybe with a battery change in the middle.

iMac would last forever.

Oh no doubt, that M1/2 chip is pretty sick.

Johnatan56

iMac would last forever.

What do you mean they'd last longer physically? My old Lenovo Y5070 is still in daily use playing games on it, it's from 2015, so 7 years. Most macs will not have as heavy usage on it.

This all depends on price tier -> the product quality.

MacBooks are actually generally worse imho as repair is way more difficult, and I've generally seen a higher failure rate among them than similar or slightly lower priced alternative os machines.

biometrics

What do you mean they'd last longer physically? My old Lenovo Y5070 is still in daily use playing games on it, it's from 2015, so 7 years. Most macs will not have as heavy usage on it.

MacBooks are actually generally worse imho as repair is way more difficult, and I've generally seen a higher failure rate among them than similar or slightly lower priced alternative os machines.
My Lenovo X230 (i7, 16 GB RAM, 512GB SSD) from 2012 is still my main dev machine and it's as good as the day I got it.

Bought a MacBook Air M1 in Jan last year and still haven't used it. Still planning to...

• Wow

Y2K

My Lenovo X230 (i7, 16 GB RAM, 512GB SSD) from 2012 is still my main dev machine and it's as good as the day I got it.

Bought a MacBook Air M1 in Jan last year and still haven't used it. Still planning to...
You should sell the MB Air and get the one with the M2 chip, then keep it for a year and not use it. :p

Last edited:

SauRoN

They had a high failure rate with the stupid keyboard crap that is how a thing of the past but generally outside of that they don’t have a failure problem.

The last few years weren’t great on the stats with the butterfly keyboard but outside of that they are pretty rock solid and now with the M1 they seem to be back to their old standard.

Can’t comment on Lenovo, but in years of dealing with HP and Dell the Apples are clearly more reliable.

And ridiculously so at enterprise level often the Dells and the HP’s are comparatively more expensive for giving you much less for the same money.

But yes as always they don’t have a Polo in their Lamborghini so you could certainly buy for less depending on your needs. At this point in time though an M1 Air is probably one of the best value for money options out there.

I’ve worked on a few machines from 2010 recently that got some SSD love and are rocking on happily.

Remember when I say these things I’m referencing hundreds of devices, not just a handful of good experiences by individual users.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

They had a high failure rate with the stupid keyboard crap that is how a thing of the past but generally outside of that they don’t have a failure problem.

The last few years weren’t great on the stats with the butterfly keyboard but outside of that they are pretty rock solid and now with the M1 they seem to be back to their old standard.
GPU issue 2013/14 model, display cable to short, think it was 2014/15/16 models, keyboard failure, 17/18 had major SSD failure issues and no chance of data back, coating issues, touch bar overheating issues, etc.

Most of these problems surface ~3+ years down the line, you'll start seeing issues crop up.

I'm not saying other manufacturers don't have issues, far from it, just saying Macbook/Apple is far from excluded and often worse since lack of repair options.

And ridiculously so at enterprise level often the Dells and the HP’s are comparatively more expensive for giving you much less for the same money.
Kind of disagree there, at enterprise level the SLA stuff starts kicking in. Apple's enterprise support is meh.
But yes as always they don’t have a Polo in their Lamborghini so you could certainly buy for less depending on your needs. At this point in time though an M1 Air is probably one of the best value for money options out there.
I think we need to define value for money, cause not really. There are cheaper devices that get you 90% of the way there that would be better value, but if you want MacOS, sure.

Nicholas

I went through a Linux phase many years ago. It was a novelty for me at the time. [I don't who the catalyst that got me into it was.] first up was Red Hat 6.1. I think the difference between it and Windows felt exhilarating at the time. I had to follow instructions for getting some software for which only the source code was provided to work. I enjoyed watching the screensavers, too. From there, I had a look at live DVDs [Mandriva, SUSE] and eventually several Ubuntu distributions. I recompiled the kernel just because I could, and was dual booting, which meant that I found out about partitioning my hard drive. [enough to get by on].

I still [possibly going overboard] use Tails sometimes.

Last edited: