Anybody else using Linux??

Y2K

If you're using linux what distro are you using?

I'm on PopOS at the moment but I've been messing around with installing arch and debian in virtualbox.

scudsucker

Alpine, mostly. Occasionally Ubuntu.

I use Mac OS on my laptop, which is a form of Unix

OCP

If you're using linux what distro are you using?

I'm on PopOS at the moment but I've been messing around with installing arch and debian in virtualbox.
Yes... close on 15 years now.

For severs mainly CentOS (moving to Rocky Linux as soon as stable is released) and for desktop have used Ubuntu/PopOS/Mint

Y2K

Yes... close on 15 years now.

For severs mainly CentOS (moving to Rocky Linux as soon as stable is released) and for desktop have used Ubuntu/PopOS/Mint
Wow, when you say servers do you mean in your work environment?

OCP

Wow, when you say servers do you mean in your work environment?
Yes - used to build and support asterisk pabx's as well as open source alternatives to windows servers.

Did some dev on lamp stack too for small projects.

• Love
Reactions: Y2K

Nicholas

I messed around with Redhat 6.2 and Ubuntu years ago. Because I was using my PC for playing games and web browsing most of the time, I decided that it was more convenient for me to keep to using Windows exclusively rather than use up disk space on dual-booting from different partitions. Linux was a novelty at the time: I played around with The GIMP and liked the collection of screensavers, but that was as far as I got.

scudsucker

No, not really, but that joke was begging to be told.

Linux in general is exceptionally good server software and exceptionally poor desktop software.

I like it because it is rock solid on our cluster, but I hated it when I installed Ubuntu on my home machine. Just too much admin and poor interface design.

Granted, I am complaining about two very different versions of *nix but my opinion stands.

Johnatan56

Linux in general is exceptionally good server software and exceptionally poor desktop software.
How long ago was this? Good Linux distros are generally simpler and more intuitive than Windows tbh.

Currently run Windows mainly due to games and compiling .Net Framework apps, but have some Linux GUI's running (Insider running in a VM to play with).

Used to have a machine permanently running Mint, probably my favorite Linux OS I've used.

spiderz

Running Xubuntu and busy setting it up as a development workstation.

spiderz

I use windows only for gaming, Linux is WAY better for everything else.

Reactions: OCP

OCP

I like it because it is rock solid on our cluster, but I hated it when I installed Ubuntu on my home machine. Just too much admin and poor interface design.

Granted, I am complaining about two very different versions of *nix but my opinion stands.
I agree in principle with what you said.

There are use cases for all operating systems and it should never be a question that because of a preference for one you should be against the others.

FOSS has allowed countless ecosystems to flourish which would have been impossible due to license and cost restrictions compared to Microsoft.
eg. Android is a prime example where Google was able to build a mobile operating system - imagine having to been stuck on Win Mobile ;-)
Even OSX from Apple is build on FOSS (BSD based)

My first Linux server was a broken laptop (cracked screen) that lived on top of our fridge.
It was our (personal) mailserver with some custom apps for many years (built in battery backup!) until I had my own hosted DC.

On the desktop it works fine for my work purposes (my laptop is Ubuntu, desktop is Windows 10, game machine at home is Windows 10 also).

I prefer Linux based systems because of stability, privacy and ability to tinker but am completely OS agnostic with regards to work: whatever is the right fit for the job.

Y2K

Everyone has an opinion I guess.

Bryn

My Linux experience is limited to trying Ubuntu a few times during my uni years. I must say, it always felt like a cheap and nasty alternative to macOS or Windows. All my favourite apps aren't available on Linux, and the ones that are usually look like cheap, outdated freeware projects.

I just don't see the benefit at all tbh outside of server environments. What benefit of a Linux system does macOS not have? Other than not being free/cheap.

GreGorGy

I have been a mac user since the 90s so have no opinion on windows. I started my journey with linux with a RedHat software box I got at Incredible in the 90s. So with that as my foundation, I have almost exclusively used CentOS as my go-to linux solution for at least 10 years. The other IT and related professionals who use servers at work prefer Ubuntu. Must say I am not a fan. Almost all staff requiring desktop computing are on Ubuntu.

Johnatan56

My Linux experience is limited to trying Ubuntu a few times during my uni years. I must say, it always felt like a cheap and nasty alternative to macOS or Windows. All my favourite apps aren't available on Linux, and the ones that are usually look like cheap, outdated freeware projects.

I just don't see the benefit at all tbh outside of server environments. What benefit of a Linux system does macOS not have? Other than not being free/cheap.
In terms of app support, most major apps have become cross platform, games aren't there yet (though quite a few are actually possible using e.g. proton, though games with EAC aren't, so PUBG, Apex, etc., but that shows more how terrible EAC is since it sucks at stopping cheating).

I'm expecting more and more apps and games to have Linux support though, C# .Net WPF is cross-platform (well mostly, still a few bugs, but for 95% of use-cases will be fine), Electron as well, so normal apps are all fine, and games will (are) following suite as game engines are making it easier.

Also helps that WSLv2 is getting proper Linux GUI support, so actually expecting that to help with testing as it should make automated testing easier for devs. I do wonder if we will get to the point where some games will use WSL instead of Windows to run, since easier to just write a single Linux app instead, and if performance/user experience is comparable, why not? Linux has things going for it like it's better at reading small files, and maybe we'll see some interesting things like a WSL image specifically for a game that will allow optimized kernels for those games/game engines.

We're in for an interesting time as even Microsoft is moving to software as a service.