Airbnb management company in Cape Town

biometrics

I'm buying an apartment in Cape Town I'll use occasionally and want to Airbnb it the rest of the time. I'm not near Cape Town so need to engage an Airbnb management company.

When searching for Airbnb management companies in Cape Town Google returns many results, so I'm not sure who to choose.

If you have an Airbnb apartment in Cape Town and make use of a management company, please recommend who to use.

satanboy

AirBnB is illegal in most complexes. Ensure you buy an apartment where it is allowed.

SlinkyMike

I believe it is allowed in the Gardens Centre.
You should confirm. There has been drama in other blocks recently. That's a sweet investment though, ABnB is fucking busy here in the summer. Block or two from my place. Let me know when you are staying there let's drink beer?

biometrics

You should confirm. There has been drama in other blocks recently. That's a sweet investment though, ABnB is fucking busy here in the summer. Block or two from my place. Let me know when you are staying there let's drink beer?
A bit late now but the Gardens Centre is known for holiday letting. Also some of the advertised flats said it is allowed. In any case there is a seperate entrance for residents with an access disc/card? When I viewed the one flat we used the residence entrance (ground floor) and there was no security or access control. When I viewed the second flat we used the visitor entrance (first floor) and the agent signed us in, there was no vetting if we are allowed there or not. On Airbnb there is a flat available in the centre. So, yeah, didn't think to check if allowed (didn't cross my mind) but it seems to be ok. I wanted to buy a flat, Airbnb was n afterthought.

SlinkyMike

Either way I think GC has been a solid investment since like the 70s. Quite jelly tbh.

biometrics

Either way I think GC has been a solid investment since like the 70s. Quite jelly tbh.
Got it at a good deal for R1.15m. All the other units of the same size are from R1.25m to R1.5m. The one for R1.25m they won't drop the price and it's the worst of the lot (ground floor, obstructed view, A/C noise). This one is on the 14th floor facing the mountain with a stunning view. Nice kitchen too.

biometrics

I contacted about 10 Airbnb management companies today and got three responses. (via a Google search)

The first one called me and it wasn't a great line but claimed they have several apartment there. I told them to email me due to the bad line. Never heard from them again.

2nd and 3rd contacts appear to be legit.

That 1st contact is a scammer.

Grant

I can give you a few names of ppl - not sure which companies they are with tho.
I've been trustee and chairman of a few building on beach / Victoria rd - the area sees plenty of airbnb - along with the attendant problems.
there are a couple, maybe 3 agents who shine through on behalf of their client, as well as dealing with problem guests.

as to whether it is legal in buildings or not - just check the conduct rules (before purchasing) and see if there is any minimum rental periods in buildings - if there is nothing in the conduct rules, then you can go ahead.

however, dept of tourism is going to be regulating airbnb type activity - it could be draconian, FEDHASA is leading the charge for regulation.
a few proposals have to be approved by the parliamentary committee on tourism.

I've attended most meetings regards the proposed amendments to legislation in Cape Town hosted by the office of the director general of tourism. they have been pretty high level - ppl like directors of FEDHASA, Tsogo Sun, Airbnb (sa), CoCT, W/C govt etc.
For my part, I've been representing the chairman of buildings along Victoria & Beach rd - in turn, the owners of about 700 properties along that stretch.

I'll pm you the contact details of 2 agents.
you can have 100% confidence in them, based not only my dealings with them, but also my conversations with the owners of apartments they represent.

Last edited:

biometrics

I'll pm you the contact details of 2 agents.
you can have 100% confidence in them, based not only my dealings with them, but also my conversations with the owners of apartments they represent.
Please do.

Grant

Ouchie

Unfortunately I specialize in high end listings so won’t be a good fit. Maybe you can contact Prop.r
Frikking royalty!!
I'll give you another name tomorrow.

If nothing else, at least you know im not sending fly by night con artists your way

Last edited:

Grant

OK.
So the 2nd one I had in mind only does Atlantic Seaboard.

Have you tried a company like AirManaged?

biometrics

OK.
So the 2nd one I had in mind only does Atlantic Seaboard.

Have you tried a company like AirManaged?
I contacted about ten and got a few replies, will follow up once transfer gets closer.

Grant

I contacted about ten and got a few replies, will follow up once transfer gets closer.
Here's a thought, find out which other apartments in the building are used for Airbnb - then speak to the owners of those apartments as to who they use.

You may find some don't use an agent. In that case suggest to them you pool resources and appoint someone in the building.
You want someone to meet and greet - show guests where to park etc, and "housekeeping".

biometrics

So I've changed my mind. I don't want an apartment that is rented out at times, I want it just for myself. Bank is being an arse so I'm using the opportunity to cancel the sale. So they have to do a NCA affordability test, right... even though my credit cards and overdraft balance is zero they add up all the limits anyway as if you used all of it. Even though my bond is 40% of the house value and that bond is 35% paid off they add the registered bond amount not what is owing. Then the apartment bond they load with 20%, for if you become a bad debt they can use that to sue you or something like that. So even though I have no debt except for just over half a bar on the house, with a credit score of 683/705, income in the upper few % in SA, the NCA affordability test failed me by a hundred thousand or so in allowable debt, even though I have no debt. So they wanted me to close one of my credit cards which I refused. Will rather pay off the house bond asap and then get a larger better apartment that is not for rent.

satanboy

So I've changed my mind. I don't want an apartment that is rented out at times, I want it just for myself. Bank is being an arse so I'm using the opportunity to cancel the sale. So they have to do a NCA affordability test, right... even though my credit cards and overdraft balance is zero they add up all the limits anyway as if you used all of it. Even though my bond is 40% of the house value and that bond is 35% paid off they add the registered bond amount not what is owing. Then the apartment bond they load with 20%, for if you become a bad debt they can use that to sue you or something like that. So even though I have no debt except for just over half a bar on the house, with a credit score of 683/705, income in the upper few % in SA, the NCA affordability test failed me by a hundred thousand or so in allowable debt, even though I have no debt. So they wanted me to close one of my credit cards which I refused. Will rather pay off the house bond asap and then get a larger better apartment that is not for rent.
Let me guess, FNB?